Saltash United began their 2019/20 South West Peninsula League campaign with a thumping 8-0 win at Callington Town on Wednesday night.

Sam Hughes opened the scoring at Marshfield Park on eight minutes before adding another midway through the half.

The score remained 2-0 until the hour, when Callum Martindale began a spell of six goals in the final 30 minutes by converting a penalty.

Prolific striker Ryan Richards opened his account for the season before Hughes completed his hat-trick.

Daniel Lewis got in on the act for goal number six, with Jason Vincent adding the seventh soon after, before Richards completed the rout towards the end.

Helston Athletic also began their season with a win on Wednesday, running out 2-0 winners at Newquay’s Mount Wise Stadium.

Debutant Cameron Wheat thought he had given the visitors the lead before the break, but saw his effort ruled out for offside.

The turning point of the match came shortly before half-time when Peppermints defender Scott Jamison was shown a straight red for a challenge on Mark Goldsworthy.

The Blues took advantage of this after the break, with midfielder Matt Bye scoring Helston’s first goal of the season with a stunning effort from distance, before Neil Slateford, also making his debut, sealed victory late on after firing in Alex Wharton’s pass from the edge of the box.

Falmouth Town and Mousehole opened their accounts for the season with a point apiece after the two teams played out a goalless draw at Bickland Park on Wednesday.

Both teams had chances to win it, with Lez Cela and Amari Bakayoko coming close for the Seagulls, while Ryan Martt and Matt Buchan missed big chances for Town late on.

St Austell picked up the first victory of the season in some style on Tuesday night, thrashing newcomers Liskeard Athletic 6-1 at Poltair Park.

The hosts were four goals to the good by half-time, with new signing Jake Miller scoring the first two midway through the half, before Martin Watts and George Tucker extended the lead just before the break.

Watts was at it again four minutes into the second half, before Hayden Turner made it six after just 53 minutes, with Tom Savigar rescuing a consolation for Liskeard with a goal on his competitive debut for the club.

Wadebridge Town fared better on their Premier West debut, earning a 1-1 draw at home to Godolphin Atlantic.

Lewis Prince put the home side in front at Bodieve Park on 63 minutes, but the Newquay side levelled barely a minute later through Joe Stone.