HELSTON ATHLETIC earned their fourth successive victory over local rivals Falmouth Town with a hard-fought 2-1 win in the South West Peninsula League Premier West at Bickland Park on Wednesday night.

Mark Goldsworthy opened the scoring midway through the first half before Kai Cornish doubled the Blues' lead two minutes after the break.

Matt Buchan gave the hosts a shout with a goal 15 minutes from time  but could not find another as Helston held out for all three points.

Luke Johnson was a lively presence for Town in the early stages, first cutting inside and firing just wide, before missing a huge chance when a through ball put him in on goal, but Blues goalkeeper Jason Robertson just managed to take the ball away from his feet.

It was Helston's turn for a huge chance moments later as a poor clearance eventually found Cornish, who struck the bar from the edge of the box.

The visitors got on top and opened the scoring in the 25th minute, with a strong run and cross by Billy Tucker eventually reaching Goldsworthy, who slid the ball home from six yards.

Tucker was a key outlet for Helston, and he was responsible for two big chances late in the half. He first fired wide after getting on the end of George Roberts' excellent diagonal ball, before his free-kick was headed narrowly wide by Ryan Beattie.

The Blues doubled their lead two minutes into the second half after Billy Tucker's low free-kick was saved by Ryan Barnes, with Cornish first to react and fire in the rebound from close range.

The young midfielder had an excellent game for the visitors, and he had another shot over the bar soon after before Scott Beattie fired wide from ten yards after some pinball in the Falmouth box.

Falmouth made them pay for not killing the game off as Buchan halved the deficit with 14 minutes to go. Jack Webber did well to persevere and win the ball, teeing up Buchan to fire home from eight yards.

Town tried to find a late leveller and almost had it with the final act of the game in the 94th minute. Luke Barner's corner met Buchan's head six yards out, but a blue shirt was able to block on the line and clear.

Falmouth: R Barnes, L Brabyn, O Walker, R Martt, J Cooper, M Duff, L Johnson (O Moody 38), M Buchan, L Barner, T Nixon. Subs: D Broglino, A Westgarth, R Talbot, S Pickup.

Helston: J Robertson, H Jewell, G Roberts, R Beattie, S Beattie, O Brokenshire, M Bye, K Cornish, B Tucker, M Goldsworthy, N Slateford. Subs: H Howlett, C Wheat, P Cattran, A Wharton, K Davies.