MARK Goldsworthy's late penalty finally secured victory for Helston Athletic in their FA Vase second qualifying round tie at home to Axminster Town.

The Blues were on top for much of the game but only had Scott Beattie's first-half goal to show for it, until Goldsworthy tucked away a penalty in the final minute of the 90 to send Helston through to the first round proper.

The Blues began brightly with Phil Cattran letting fly from the edge of the box, with the ball going narrowly over the bar.

Helston were winning plenty of free-kicks but struggled to do anything with them, with Beattie heading Bye's delivery over from ten yards in one of the better efforts.

In-form Kai Cornish was looking lively as the half wore on, and the youngster tested goalkeeper Jason Hutchings midway through the half when he cut inside and drilled a shot at the 'keeper.

The pair were reunited shortly after when Hutchings came out and collided with the onrushing Cornish inside the box, with the latter landing in a heap on the turf. Helston screamed for a penalty but referee Neil Hunnisett waved away the appeals.

Jacob Rowe was a leading light for the Tigers, with the forward testing Jason Robertson from the edge of the box before almost managing to divert a cross in at the near post moments later.

Helston were building up pressure as half-time approached with the latest effort seeing Olly Brokenshire's cross finding Neil Slateford at the back post, whose volley was held on the line by Hutchings.

But the hosts were able to get their noses in front before the break, with Beattie turning Matt Bye's corner in at the front of the six-yard box with seven minutes of the half to play.

Helston spurned a golden chance to double their lead five minutes into the second half when Cattran and Bye countered from a free-kick. The former put the latter in on goal but he was thwarted by a superb covering tackle by Beer.

Axminster were threatening in spells and were denied an equaliser thanks to a wonderful save by man-of-the-match Robertson. Hurford's free-kick was arrowing into the top corner but for a wonderful flying save by the goalkeeper.

But the Tigers kept pushing and almost levelled on 76 minuted when a faint touch on a free-kick sent the ball across goal and struck the base of the back post with everyone only able to watch.

The Blues soon relieved the pressure and Goldsworthy thought he sealed victory when he raced onto a through ball and found the back of the net, only to be denied by the linesman's flag.

The Devonians were still searching for a goal to take it to extra-time and almost had it in the 86th minute when a cross fell to Ben Allen inside the box, who saw his shot from the penalty spot go wide after a deflection.

But victory was finally secured in the final minute when Goldsworthy was felled in the box, with the same man getting up to beat Hutchings from the spot.

Helston: J Robertson, H Jewell, G Roberts, R Beattie, S Beattie, O Brokenshire, K Cornish (C Wheat 88), M Bye, P Cattran (A Flack 72), M Goldsworthy, N Slateford. Subs: K Davies, A Wharton, K Daughtery.

Axminster: J Hutchings, B Loaring, G Gould, D Beer, J Hurford, C Garrett, D Peach, T Wellman (G McAuley 62), N Antat (C Sulley 65), B Allen, J Rowe. Subs: J Stunell.