Wendron United's first-ever home match under floodlights ended in defeat as Penzance ran out 2-1 winners in their South West Peninsula League Premier West game on Tuesday night.

Joe Souch had given Wendron the lead at the Underlane but goals from Gary Bell and Kevin Lawrence saw the visitors enjoy a slender half-time advantage, with the hosts unable to claw their way back into the game after the break as their three-game winning run came to an end.

There was a bumper attendance at the Underlane to witness a piece of Wendron history, with the club's newly installed floodlights being switched on for a match for the very first time.

Wendron chairman Peter Thorne gave a speech on the pitch prior to kick-off to thank those involved in delivering the floodlights, including former chairman, Kevin Williamson, who died in February.

The teams headed out to the pitch afterwards as the lights were turned on one by one before the game got underway.

The hosts started well with Kian Thomas twice getting shots on goal in the early few minutes, with the first going wide at the far post before the second brought a save out of Barrie Wyatt.

The hosts then opened the scoring in style in the tenth minute, with Souch finding space to drill the ball past Wyatt from the edge of the box.

Souch had a good chance to double his and his side's tally moments later when Wyatt parried a shot into his path, but was thwarted by a crucial sliding block by a Penzance man.

But the Magpies were soon level in fortuitous fashion, with Bell's shot from the edge of the box taking an almighty deflection and flying into the opposite side of the goal past a helpless Dan Stedman.

The visitors had their tails up and edged in front ten minutes before the break. A weak defensive header allowed Lawrence to run free down the left, with the midfielder cutting inside before firing a wonderful shot past Stedman from 20 yards.

The Dron got on the front foot early in the second half and were unlucky not to level when Finn Robinson got a powerful shot away inside the box, with his goalbound effort being superbly tipped away from the bottom corner by Wyatt.

Jack Noy was involved more and more as the half wore on, doing well to see off two challenges before curling just past the top corner from distance.

Almost all of the goalmouth action in the second half belonged to the hosts but they could not test Wyatt and find a leveller, as Penzance held out to earn all three points and end Wendron's three-match winning run.

Wendron: D Stedman, F Robinson, R Carroll, S Palmer, D Tarrant, B Ringrose, J Chapman (L Potts 81), J Souch (Y Briar 70), K Thomas (T Martin 57), T Walter, J Noy. Subs (unused): H Fuller, W Paul, C Mulroy, M Bowden.

Penzance: B Wyatt, C George, D Richards, K Lawrence, T Buckley, G Bell, J Cleverley, A Calleja-Stayne, M Vercesi, A Oliver (S Owen 84), M Kewn. Subs (unused): S Grant, J Reynolds.