LUKE Jephcott’s late penalty salvaged Truro City a 2-2 draw away at Wimborne Town on Tuesday despite the White Tigers leading at the break, writes Cameron Weldon.

A Niall Thompson cross that was deflected into his own net by Carl Pettefer gave Truro the lead at the break before a penalty and a stunning free kick gave the Dorset hosts the lead. Luke Jephcott then sent the keeper the wrong way to secure Truro a point.

After defeating the same opposition in the FA Cup last week, Truro went into the game off the back of four straight wins and started the brighter under the Cuthbury lights.

Luke Jephcott and Rio Garside linked up well before the latter picked out debutant Alex Battle who saw his shot comfortable saved.

More City chances followed. Will Dean saw an effort go just wide of the target while Battle again had a good opportunity to score but his attempt lacked the necessary power to beat Plain in the Wimborne net.

The White Tigers dominance was finally rewarded just past the half hour mark. Niall Thompson beat his man and sent in an inviting cross that was put into his own net by Carl Pettefer after some pressure from Stewart Yetton.

Two more chances fell Alex Battle’s way before the break, but the keeper was equal to them both as Truro took a slender lead into the second half.

More Truro chances followed at the start of the second half. Jephcott saw a shot go wide of the post while Yetton got on the end of a Garside cross but saw his attempt blocked.

Jephcott then found himself clean through but couldn’t convert as City failed to take their chances.

The home side were then awarded a penalty on the hour mark which Stefan Penny took full advantage of to level the contest.

Adel Gafaiti was then shown a straight red for Truro as the last man centre back pulled his man back leaving the referee no choice.

Billy Maybury stunningly fired the resulting free kick past a helpless James Hamon to turn things around for the Magpies with twenty minutes to play.

The ten men of Truro kept battling and got their deserved equaliser with eleven minutes to play. Niall Thompson beat three men as he forced his way into the box before being fouled. Luke Jephcott stepped up and sent Plain the wrong way to bring the game level once again.

Wimborne finished the stronger and could have nicked it right at the end. James Hamon made a superb close range save before seeing the hosts blaze one over the bar as Truro held on to claim a deserved point.

The White Tigers are next in action on Saturday as they return to cup football with a visit to National League North side Hereford in the FA Cup.

Truro: Hamon, Thompson, Law, Gafaiti, Richards (c), Booth, Dean, Garside (Keats 83), Jephcott, Battle (Davis 70), Yetton (Ward 65).