FALMOUTH Town ended local rivals Helston Athletic's 13-game winning run in brutal fashion, winning 5-1 in their FA Vase first round proper tie at Kellaway Park.

Billy Tucker had given the Blues the lead midway through the half, but goals from Matt Buchan and David Broglino turned the tables shortly before the break.

Buchan doubled the lead just after the hour before Broglino netted from the spot four minutes later, with Luke Brabyn completing an emphatic win with 20 minutes to go.

Falmouth were screaming for a penalty after barely 20 seconds when Luke Johnson's shot was spilled by Blues goalkeeper Jason Robertson, who collided with Buchan when clearing the loose ball, but the referee was unmoved.

Helston got their first sniff on eight minutes when Tucker got the better of David Blizzard but his cross was cleared, before Toby Clark headed wide from a free-kick at the other end.

Tucker was involved soon after when he played a short free-kick to Matt Bye, who curled narrowly over Ryan Barnes' bar from outside the box.

Town were looking the likelier to open the scoring but the Blues took the lead against the run of play in the 29th minute, with Phil Cattran playing in Tucker who produced a delightful chip over Ryan Barnes at the near post.

Helston came close to extending their lead with Barnes making a smart save from Cattran's superb volley before Goldsworthy struck the crossbar with a header from a free-kick.

The Blues' 22-goal top-scorer was in the thick of it again soon after when Neil Slateford went on a mazy run and forced a save from Barnes, who sent the ball rolling along his goal with Goldsworthy inexplicably missing the target from two yards.

That proved crucial as Falmouth levelled with six minutes left of the half with Martyn Duff's header striking the base of the post, with the rebound falling kindly for Buchan, who could not miss from six yards.

The Blues pressed for a quick goal to restore their lead, and almost got it when Kai Cornish teed up Tucker whose shot was saved by Barnes, with Cooper heading away in the six-yard box before Goldsworthy could head home.

It looked as if an exciting first half was going to end level, but Town had other ideas when, in the final minute of the half, Luke Brabyn ran free and sent a low cross to Broglino, who tapped in from six yards.

Johnson squandered a wonderful chance to make it three within a minute of the restart, but he ballooned his effort over Robertson's bar from the centre of the box.

Helston were limited in their attempts to respond, with two efforts from Bye the closest the Blues came for much of the second half.

Town were controlling the game and the third goal duly arrived in the 63rd minute. Johnson comes forward with the ball and lays it off to Buchan inside the box, who stroked the ball into the far corner.

Barely four minutes had elapsed before Town extended their lead. The impressive Johnson was felled in the box and Broglino slammed the resulting penalty down the middle of the goal in front of a jubilant F-Troop, who made up the majority of the bumper 689 crowd.

The sizeable away support were cheering again another four minutes later, with Brabyn getting the better of Tucker on the left and firing in a low cross inaide the box, which came back to the Falmouth man to drive past Robertson from six yards and complete the scoring.

The game settled down for the final 20 minutes, and despite a few forays forward for the hosts the result was never in doubt, with Town advancing to the second round proper for the second season running.

Helston: J Robertson, K Davies, C Wheat (S Jenkin), R Beattie, H Jewell, P Cattran, B Tucker, M Bye, N Slateford, M Goldsworthy, K Cornish (A Flack). Subs (unused): L Tonkin, J James, H Howlett, A Wharton, K Daughtery.

Falmouth: R Barnes, D Blizzard, O Moody (B Oliver), R Chinn, J Cooper, T Clark, L Johnson (E Martt), D Broglino, M Buchan (S Pickup), M Duff, L Brabyn. Subs (unused): S Parker-Billinge, A Westgarth.