FALMOUTH Town have been fined £800 for their supporters' use of pyrotechnics at two South West Peninsula League games that took place earlier this season.

The charges relate to the first team's SWPL games at home to Mousehole and Helston Athletic.

The Cornwall FA were initially made aware of incidents at both the Cornwall Senior Cup Final between Town and Saltash United at Bodmin Town's Priory Park in April and the Walter C Parson League Cup Final between the same two teams in May.

The incident in the Senior Cup Final related to Town's supporters, which Town won 2-1, while the incident at the League Cup Final related to Saltash's support, which the Ashes won 1-0. Cornwall FA wrote to and warned both clubs as a result, but no charges were made.

The Cornwall FA then received reports of pyrotechnics being used by Falmouth supporters at two of their league games this season, a goalless draw at home to Mousehole on the opening day of the season and a 2-1 defeat to Helston Athletic in September, again at their Bickland Park home. Match officials from both games also submitted statements.

Town have subsequently been charged for two separate breaches of FA Rule E20 (failure to Control the behaviour of Spectators), and have been fined £200 for the first instance and £600 for the second.

£300 of the second fine has been suspended for 24 months, but will be reinstated should Town be found guilty of a similar offence within the next two years.

A statement from the Cornwall FA read in full: "Towards the end of the 2018/19 season Cornwall FA were made aware of incidents at both The Cornwall FA Senior Cup Final at Bodmin Town and The Walter C Parsons League Cup Final at St Blazey.

"The incidents were in relation to the use of Pyrotechnics. The reports from The Senior Cup Final related to supporters of Falmouth Town and the reports from the League Cup Final were in relation to supporters of Saltash United.

"Having spoken with both clubs and to maintain consistency in our approach Cornwall FA did not issue charges against either club, however both clubs were written to and warned that should any more reports be received of pyrotechnics being used at games then charges would be issued against the offending club.

"Both clubs were also issued reminders that the use of Pyrotechnics is illegal and could result in criminal proceedings against any individuals found to have set off Pyrotechnics.

"Additionally all member clubs of Cornwall FA were written to and advised that the use of Pyrotechnics was forbidden at football matches, the statement issued was also circulated by The Kitchen Kit Southwest Peninsula League.

"Since the start of the season we have received reports of Pyrotechnics being used at two matches by supporters of Falmouth Town, firstly at a match against Mousehole AFC and secondly at a match against Helston Athletic FC. These incidents were investigated and the match officials for both games submitted statements.

"Subsequently Falmouth Town were charged for two separate breaches of FA Rule E20 (failure to Control the behaviour of Spectators)

"These cases were recently heard by Cornwall FA, in the first instance Falmouth Town were issued with a fine of £200, for the 2nd instance Falmouth Town were issued with a fine of £600. In the second case £300 of the fine was suspended for a period of 24 months.

"Should Falmouth Town be found guilty of a similar offence within a 24 month period then the £300 will be reinstated and added to any additional sanction.

"We would like to remind all clubs that the use of Pyrotechnics at Football Grounds is strictly prohibited, and should we receive reports then the matter will be investigated and charges will be issued and dealt with accordingly."

Falmouth Town's recent cup success has seen a spike in the numbers of supporters at their games this season, with the game between Town and Mousehole attracting 253 supporters, the fifth-highest total in the SWPL this season, while the game between Town and Helston attracted a league-high of 364 supporters.

The FA Vase first round proper tie between Town and the Blues attracted 689 supporters to Kellaway Park two weeks ago.