Porthleven were undone by two late goals as they exited the Walter C Parson League Cup with defeat at Mousehole in their second-round tie at Trungle Parc on Friday night.

Kieran Toland struck twice in the final ten minutes to seal a 2-0 win for the Seagulls on what was a special night for the hosts, with their new floodlights being used for the very first time.

Much like the following day when the majority of football in the county was postponed, Friday’s game at Trungle Parc was dictated by torrential rain and driving wind, which had a big impact on the two footballing sides.

Mousehole edged the early play with Amara Bakayoko having a shot blocked in the box following a great run, before Heydon Dark shot wide for Port after doing well to work some space on the edge of the box.

Ton Whipp drove wide for the Fishermen after picking up the ball in acres of space following a half-cleared corner, with the centre back getting a vital block on Lez Cela’s shot at the other end soon after following a dangerous Seagulls attack.

Porthleven’s best chance of the half fell to George Molcher, who received the ball from Dan Stidwell and drove at goal from the edge of the box, forcing a fine flying save from Micky Flores who was at full stretch to tip the ball away.

A slow start to the second half was livened up by a great bit of skill from Paulo Sousa on the hour, whose trickery to beat two men eventually gave Bakayoko the chance to send in a dangerous cross, which was hooked away by a Porthleven defender before it could reach Imani Matthews at the back post.

Mousehole began to build some pressure with Cela curling a free-kick over the bar before Toland’s shot was blocked by Ed Timmons, while substitute Gerens James came close to diverting Bakayoko’s cross past Martyn Webster, but the ‘keeper did well to smother the ball.

The Seagulls continued to heap pressure on the visitors with Bakayoko firing a low shot at Webster from the edge of the box before his cross was well blocked by Whipp, while Toland drove narrowly wide and Cela saw his tap-in from Bakayoko’s cross chalked off for offside in the build-up.

It was beginning to look as if extra-time was going to be required until ten minutes from time, when Toland picked up a pass from Paulo Sousa on the edge of the box and rifled it into the net to finally break the deadlock.

Bayakoko was inches away from doubling the lead and making the safe a couple of minutes later when he saw his shot cannon off the near post.

But Toland was on hand to make sure of Mousehole’s progression in the final minute of the 90, curling a fine free-kick in off the left post from 25 yards to send the Seagulls into the last 16 of the competition.

Porthleven: M Webster, E Timmons, D Greet, T Whipp, C Wormington, H Dark, D Stidwell, L Hunter, F Paterson, G Molcher, M Fox.