HELSTON Athletic came back from a goal down to win 4-1 at home to Porthleven on Boxing Day and earn their 16th consecutive victory in the South West Peninsula League.

They did not have it all their own way, with a Damon Mulready own goal giving Port a 1-0 lead at the break, but two goals from Mark Goldsworthy and further strikes from Dan Harrison and Billy Tucker made sure the hosts took the points at Kellaway Park.

The Blues were the quicker side to settle into the game, with Mulready testing Martyn Webster from distance before Goldsworthy saw his effort inside the box saved by the Fishermen’s ‘keeper.

Port were threatening on the break through Kyle Fraser and the pacey wide player almost set up the first goal, but his whipped early cross just evaded Dan Stidwell in the box.

Helston went back on the attack and had further chances via Neil Slateford, whose tame shot was easy for Webster, and Goldsworthy, who fired over the bar with a shot on the turn.

But it was the visiting side who took the lead in the 21st minute after a foul on ex-Blue Charlie Young. Dan Richardson delivered the free kick from near the touchline, with Mulready sticking out a leg and diverting it agonisingly past Helston goalkeeper Kieran Daughtery.

Helston had the better of the remainder of the first half with Tucker drawing a save from Webster from a free kick before Ryan Beattie headed high and wide from two separate corner kicks.

But Fraser almost made it two against the run of play just before the break when he used his pace to burst through on goal, only to be denied by a superb challenge from Mulready.

The Blues stepped up their efforts in the second half, with Goldsworthy having a shot blocked before a header went straight into Webster’s arms from the resulting corner.

But Steve Massey’s side were back on terms in the 56th minute, with Matt Bye’s corner delivery being headed down by Alex Wharton for Harrison to fire in from the centre of the box.

Port tried to hit back and nearly did so when Dan Stidwell curled a shot over the crossbar from a good position, while Slateford had a shot smothered by Webster at the other end a couple of minutes later.

Goldsworthy had had a fairly quiet first half but was on hand to give Helston the lead in the 68th minute with his 34th goal of the season, latching on to Tucker’s inside pass into the box and firing past Webster.

The same combination yielded the same result eight minutes later as Goldsworthy extended the Blues’ advantage. Tucker fed Goldsworthy on the left of the box once again, with the in-form strike needing no invitation to race in and plant the ball past Webster again.

Olly Brokenshire almost made it four in the 86th minute, with Tucker’s low free kick being parried into his path by Webster, but the midfielder saw his effort blocked.

But the fourth came barely a minute later when the hosts earned the chance to wrap up the victory from the spot, with Tucker sending Webster the wrong way to complete a fine second-half performance for the home side.

Helston: K Daughtery, E Timmons, D Harrison, R Beattie, D Mulready, O Brokenshire, N Slateford (H Jewell 73), M Bye, B Tucker, M Goldsworthy (A Flack 80), A Wharton (C Wheat 76). Subs (unused): G Roberts, L Short.

Porthleven: M Webster, K Davies, D Turner, L Hunter, H Howlett, C Wormington, D Stidwell (M Fox 73), D Richardson, K Fraser, C Young, H Dark (G Molcher). Subs (unused): J Roberts, M Everard, J Thomson.