HELSTON Athletic set a new South West Peninsula League record of 18 consecutive wins after earning a 3-0 victory at home to local rivals Falmouth Town.

Olly Brokenshire gave the Blues a slender half-time lead before Phil Cattran and Neil Slateford secured the landmark win over a lacklustre Town, who had former Helston midfielder Ryan Chinn sent off late on.

Helston’s victory exacted revenge over their rivals, who dumped them out of both the FA Vase and the Cornwall Senior Cup earlier this season.

Town enjoyed the brighter start with several forays into the Helston third but without testing goalkeeper Jason Robertson, with Scott Kellow’s blocked shot from Matt Buchan’s cross the best chance of the first 15 minutes.

That was until Helston got a foothold in the game thanks to a rare error from Town captain Joe Cooper, who was caught in possession by Billy Tucker. The forward passed to the unmarked Phil Cattran but his low shot was well held by Ryan Barnes.

Helston opened the scoring in the 27th minute when Mark Goldsworthy won a free-kick 35 yards from goal. Tucker played it short to Brokenshire, who raced into space on the left of the box and arrowed the ball into the far corner.

Slateford had a good chance to double the lead a few minutes after, doing well to hold off a couple of challenges in the box before driving the ball well over Barnes' bar.

The second goal came five minutes into the second half in a devastating 30 seconds for the visitors. Town had shouted for a penalty after Chinn hit the deck, with Tucker going up the other end and forcing a save out of Barnes, with Cattran on hand to tuck away the rebound.

Town finally got an effort on target a few minutes later, but Johnson’s looping header from just inside the box was not quite powerful enough to make life difficult for the ‘keeper.

Barnes was certainly the busier of the two goalkeepers, and the Town man made a sensational save in the 68th minute, tipping Tucker’s dipping 25-yard effort over his crossbar.

The only blemish on Helston’s afternoon came a minute later, when young substitute Liam Short had to be stretchered off following an accidental collision with Johnson.

But the three points and the league record consecutive win was secured in the 78th minute when man-of-the-match Slateford was given time and space to pick his spot from the edge of the box and drove the ball into the far corner.

Town kept going but still could not give Robertson anything to do, with Johnson’s effort from the edge of the box going high and wide.

Falmouth’s miserable afternoon was completed in the 87th minute when a late challenge on Chinn sparked a melee, with Chinn eventually being shown a straight red by Derek Hughes, while Helston’s Dan Harrison received a yellow for his part in the brawl.

Helston: J Robertson, H Jewell, D Harrison, R Beattie, D Mulready (L Short 56 (G Roberts 73)), O Brokenshire, N Slateford, M Bye, B Tucker, M Goldsworthy, P Cattran (A Wharton 80). Subs (unused): A Flack, E Timmons, A Wharton.

Falmouth: R Barnes, S Kellow, O Moody (B Oliver 70), R Chinn, J Cooper, J Ward, L Brabyn, D Broglino (J Webber 59), M Buchan (L Barner 57), M Duff, L Johnson. Subs (unused): S Pickup, T Nixon.