HELSTON Athletic enjoyed a thrilling run to their first Cornwall Senior Cup in 76 years when they did so in 2013, coming within a whisker of being crowned champions of Cornwall for the first time since 1937.

The Blues’ dream run to the final began on December 1, 2012, when Sid Taylor’s side made the trip to Bodieve Park to take on Wadebridge Town.

This was a mouth-watering tie between two of the in-form teams in the county, with both sides going into the game having won nine of their last ten games.

Despite enjoying the better start, Helston found themselves a goal down on 20 minutes when Paul Menhinick headed in from a corner.

But the goal woke the visitors and they were soon level thanks to Liam Eddy, who teed up strike partner Mark Goldsworthy for what was already his 21st goal of the season.

Eddy was just three behind him, but he quickly moved one closer on the half-hour when his effort took a handy deflection past home ‘keeper Tom Vercoe.

Wadebridge had the lion’s share of the ball after the break but could not penetrate the visiting defence, with Helston going through to the next round.

A woeful winter meant the Blues had gone six weeks without kicking a ball in anger by the time their tie at home to Callington Town took place, and that lack of practice perhaps played a part in the visitors going a goal up inside three minutes after Ryan Lucassi's shot on the turn beat Helston ‘keeper Martyn Webster.

And for a time the visitors were in control of the game, but after the break it was a different story as Taylor's side played with a renewed sense of purpose and took the game to their opponents.

Then in the 57th minute their pressure told when a looping corner rebounded back off the crossbar to Hugh Howlett, who showed excellent balance to steer a volley into the top corner.

Falmouth Packet:

Liam Eddy scores the winner for Helston against Callington Town

The home side managed to land the killer blow with just over ten minutes remaining when Kirk Davies, on as a second half substitute, lofted a cross into the box for Eddy, whose delicate glancing header found the far corner.

That set up a quarter-final tie with Liskeard Athletic, and the east Cornwall side raced out of the blocks to stun Helston by taking a third minute lead thanks to striker Robbie Almond's cool finish.

But Helston fought back with two goals in two minutes shortly before the break courtesy of Goldsworthy and Eddy.

After the break Almond scored his second after capitalising on a poor Helston clearance to fire into the top corner and draw the scores level.

And despite Lee Blatchford's sending off soon after, Helston were unable to capitalise on their numerical advantage and the deadlock remained unbroken after 90 minutes.

Five minutes into the first period of extra time Eddy smashed in Helston's third off the underside of the crossbar, before Forse awarded Liskeard a contentious penalty for a tug on Tom Hall by defender Kirk Davies. Up stepped Almond to send Jason Robertson the wrong way and complete his hat trick.

The penalty decision incensed the Helston bench, with Blues boss Taylor and the substituted Ashley Stidwell both shown red cards in the midst of chaotic scenes on the sidelines.

Falmouth Packet:

Ben Stidwell celebrates scoring Helston's fourth goal at Liskeard Athletic

Ben Stidwell poked in Helston's fourth late in the second period, before Eddy fired in the fifth to seal the victory seven minutes from time and send Helston into the semi-finals, where they would meet Newquay.

The teams made their way to Truro City’s Treyew Road on March 16, and while a tense first half saw neither side able to break the deadlock, Newquay's Luke Weldhen put the Peppermints a goal up five minutes into the second half with an excellent curled effort.

Helston piled on the pressure as they looked for a way back into the game, but Glynn Hooper's side stood firm and as the clock ticked down they looked to have sealed the win.

But five minutes into time added on at the end of 90 minutes, second half substitute James Miller popped up with the equaliser sparking scenes of jubilation on the Helston bench and forcing the game into extra time.

Things got worse for Newquay when top scorer Goldsworthy put the Blues ahead in the 95th minute.

Helston looked to have completed a stunning turnaround, only for Newquay to hit back soon after when Weldhen notched up his second of the night in the 99th minute.

But Miller was on hand to seal a famous victory for the Blues in the 115th minute when he smashed in the winner to send them through to the final.

The task could not be more daunting, with Premier Division champions and cup holders Bodmin Town the opposition for the Easter Monday showpiece at Saltash United’s Kimberley Stadium.

But the Blues were the better side throughout, neither side was able to break the deadlock in the 90 minutes, meaning a replay – the first in the final for a decade – at Treyew Road eight days later.

Falmouth Packet:

Helston Athletic captain Jamie Thomson

The Blues took the lead in the 18th minute in front of 828 supporters in Truro when Liam Eddy linked up well with strike partner Goldsworthy before rounding Kevin Miller and passing the ball into an empty net.

Gradually the holders played their way back into the game, but they were forced to wait until after half time before they drew level, Shane Krac hammering a low drive into the bottom corner of the net from Olly Brokenshire's short free kick.

Helston had defender Kirk Davies sent off in controversial circumstance for a second bookable offence in the 66th minute, and ten minutes later Bodmin looked to have sealed the win when Adam Carter pounced on a loose ball in the box to fire in from close range.

But despite the odds being stacked against them Helston never gave up, and it was man of the match Eddy who drew them level with six minutes of normal time left to play. James Miller, on as a second half substitute, threaded a through ball for the speedy striker, and his low drive flew into the far corner to send the game into extra time.

Sure enough, as Helston appeared to tire, Bodmin took the lead again when Brokenshire drilled in a low volley from the edge of the 18-yard box.

The holders looked to be in complete control but Helston, always dangerous on the break, stunned Darren Gilbert's side when Miller curled a sublime effort in from an acute angle that seemed destined to send the game to penalties.

But Doel had other ideas. With two minutes to go he scampered down the right wing before unleashing an unstoppable shot that flew past Jason Robertson to cap an astonishing night of football.

It was a heart-breaking way to end a glorious run for the Blues, who came agonisingly close to earning their first Senior Cup title since 1937, but it was a thrilling run that made everyone in Cornish football sit up and take notice of the club from Kellaway Park.