Callington Town 1, Wendron United 2 – South West Peninsula League, August 2007

WENDRON United's baptism in the newly-formed South West Peninsula League could not have been more difficult, but they overcame everything that was thrown at them to pull off an encouraging opening day win.

Heavy traffic clogging up the roads and a spate of accidents delayed the arrival of the team despite leaving before midday. In fact, having named his team, manager Steve Webber then had no option but to begin the game with nine men after Andy Munro and Justin Searle failed to make it in time.

In contact by telephone, it was decided to play without them for ten minutes, but within a couple of minutes of bringing the numbers up to strength they found themselves a goal down when Chris Faulkner hit a stinging shot along the wet surface that Bryan Scoffin failed to hold and that allowed Faulkner to follow up and score.

Wendron took time to find their shape and rhythm, but fortunately they were sufficiently organised to restrict Callington to long-range efforts that never really troubled Scoffin.

As half time neared Wendron began to threaten with Matt McIlroy going past a couple of defenders and whipping in a cross that no-one could quite reach.

It was much the same when Peter Maclean ran on to Munro's free kick and provided a great cross that just eluded the incoming players.

The second half was a completely different affair with Wendron dominating possession and putting the home side firmly on the back foot to such an extent that they could manage only occasional breakaways.

Ten minutes into the half United deservedly equalised when McIlroy, who turned and shot from a corner, saw his effort deflected into the back of the net by Simon Carter.

The introduction of Sean Johnston posed plenty of problems for the Town defence and it was a problem they were never able to solve.

He tormented them with his pace along the flanks and from one of his crosses in the 70th minute United took the lead when Mike O'Neill went around the goalkeeper to score.

Wendron put the home side under intense pressure for the remainder of the game, but last-ditch defending prevented them from adding to their score.

Right at the death Searle almost snapped up a third goal, but luckily for Town his thunderous shot left the crossbar in a state of shock as well as the 'keeper.

Manager Steve Webber was delighted with the three points, saying: "We've got to be pleased with the win, but as a marker for the rest of the season we have no idea how well we played.

"This is the first time we have played them, so there is no history on which we can form a judgement of how we performed.

"If it had been St Just or Illogan, then we could form an opinion, but not on this occasion.

"We will take the three points, but we know that much tougher tests lay ahead with Goonhavern and Porthleven our next couple of games, so we will wait and see how we fare against them."

Wendron: B Scoffin, G Pascoe, A Munro, S Hodson, P Maclean, J Searle, A Toy, S Whitney, M McIlroy, S Carter, M O'Neill. Subs: S Johnston, D Toy, E Timmins, B Andrew, J Wilkes, M James.