WENDRON United enjoyed a highly successful 2014/15 season, combining a second-placed finish and subsequent promotion from the Combination League with their first-ever Combination League Cup title.

The Dron got their cup campaign off to a good start in September as Luke Wort and Michael O’Neill got on the scoresheet in a 2-0 win over St Ives Town in their preliminary round tie.

The hosts had plenty of chances to make the scoreline larger, but could not hit the target as they came up against a hard working defence.

A comfortable start to the competition for the Dron, but they had to rely on a last-minute bullet header from Justin Miles to earn victory over Helston Athletic reserves in the first round a month later.

Both sides started the match well with saves having to made early on by the goalkeepers.

Home forward Wort broke the deadlock in the 25th minute when he breached Helston stopper Barry Hennessey's defence.

The visitors grabbed an equaliser before half time though as they bundled in a corner after a goal mouth scramble, with Jason Robertson getting the final touch.

But just before the referee called time on the first 45 minutes, Miles put Dron back ahead with a beautiful free kick from 25 yards out.

Falmouth Packet:

Luke Wort celebrates his goal for Dron in their first-round tie at home to Helston. Pic: Phil Ruberry

Athletic came out fighting after the interval but had to wait until the 75th minute to bring things level again as Dan Stidwell showed great strength to hold off challenges before lobbing the keeper.

A winner was pushed for by both sides, but it was the hosts who ended up prevailing.

With a minute left of normal time, a corner was won and taken by Harry Evans, who was featuring for Dron as he was cup-tied from the FA Vase, which his St Austell side were playing in. His ball swung in to find Miles who did the rest with an unstoppable header and deliver the knockout punch to Helston.

Wendron would welcome league leaders and local rivals Mullion to the Underlane for their quarter-final tie at the end of January 2015.

In the first half, it was the visitors who looked the better team, but Dron upped the ante in the second half and went close a couple of times through Ben Ambrose.

However, visiting goalkeeper Jordan Lugg had a wonderful afternoon between the sticks as he prevented the deadlock being broken.

There was little he could do though when Wort did make it 1-0 for the hosts on 62 minutes. Mike Brewer’s through ball found Ambrose who then hit a shot on target. Lugg pushed the ball out, but Wort was on hand in the area and managed to poke home after a goalmouth scramble for his 26th strike of the season.

That would prove to be the only goal of the game as Wendron booked their place in the final four for the second season running.

Falmouth Packet:

Justin Miles takes a penalty in the semi-final against Hayle. Pic: Luke Czoboriek/Cartel

A delighted manager Paul Murray told the Packet: “Whenever you beat the team who are top of the league, it is a good thing for morale.

"It was tough for us at the start in the conditions as they were, so we changed the formation around and I thought our guys adapted really well."

Dron's semi-final opponent was a Hayle side who had won three of their last four games and who came out fighting in their tie at Porthleven’s Gala Parc, but despite a somewhat shaky start, once Dron got going there was simply no stopping them.

With the pressure they had built, Dron deserved a half time lead and their reward finally came with the last kick of the opening 45 minutes. James Rowberry was sent tumbling over in the box and Dave Dobson pointed to the spot, allowing Miles to step up and thump the kick in off Halliday’s right hand post.

The plug was pulled out of Hayle and on the hour mark, Halliday and Zack Williams got in a mix-up with a high ball going into the box letting Dron’s top goalscorer Wort to slot home.

Chris Madeley went close to making it 3-0 when his header from a corner went just over before his defensive colleague Ryan Tresidder put the third in as he smashed a volley on the turn past Halliday.

Cruise control was put on by Dron for the final 15 minutes and it became 4-0 when Rose fired home an effort after substitute Brett Andrew nudged the ball to him after a long free kick went into the penalty area.

Consolation found Hayle in fortunate fashion in the fourth minute of added on time when Barnaby Dagger lobbed the goalkeeper, but Wendron were safely through to their first-ever Combination League Cup Final.

Falmouth Packet:

Chris Mulroy on the ball during the semi-final against Hayle. Pic: Luke Czoboriek/Cartel

Speaking to the Packet, Murray admitted the season’s main priority remains the league, but believes his team deserve to go on and win the cup.

Murray said: “I’d be delighted if we go and win the trophy on Easter Sunday.

“The team I’ve put together here is good and they deserve to win things because they have worked so hard all season long.

“If Justin Miles is lifting that cup on Easter Sunday and all the players have winner’s medals around their necks, I will be an immensely proud manager.”

Fellow league title chasers Ludgvan stood between the Dron and a maiden League Cup triumph, and the two form sides played out an epic final.

Life looked bleak for Paul Murray's men when regular captain Miles tore a muscle during the warm up before Wort saw red just four minutes into the game, but stand-in skipper Chris Madeley nodded the ten men in front on the half-hour.

But Jon Ludlum levelled matters five minutes before half time with a beautifully curled effort from 25 yards out and 45 seconds after the break, Ludgvan's top goalscorer Gerens James poked the ball home as he got on the end of a corner.

But Wendron stepped back up to the mark and Justin Searle saw his long range effort in the 56th minute saved by Craig Nichols, only for the ball to loop over the keeper and bounce in.

James restored the Hurlers' lead three minutes later with a back post header, but as his side sat back, Wendron cranked up the pressure and got their rewards eight minutes from time. Teenage striker Matt Buchan won his side a corner, which led to Chris Mulroy finding substitute Matt Roberts at the back post to head home and send the game to extra time.

Falmouth Packet:

Matt Roberts heads home a last-minute equaliser for Wendron in the final. Pic: Sam Barnes/Cartel

Penalties followed with Ludlum and Buchan both successfully converting the first kicks for their sides.

Then it became the Jon Row show as Dron’s 'keeper guessed right at the next three Ludgvan penalties from Jamie Devine, Jack Ramsey and Joe Day.

In the meantime, Searle scored his kick before Madeley hit the post and Tresidder’s chance of winning the cup were cut short by Nichols’ gloves.

Row got a hand to Ludgvan’s fifth penalty from Mark Richards, leaving Mulroy the opportunity to seal victory with the final kick, which he duly did, sparking wild celebrations in the process.

Speaking after the shoot-out, Row said he could not believe what had just happened.

He said: “Honestly, if I was in bed and dreamt about it, that is exactly how it would have gone.

“The boys battled well for 90 minutes after we lost Luke and I had a shocking first half performance but managed to pull it together.

“I think I was the villain because of my performance early in the game but I’m absolutely blown away with my saves. I just went the right way each time and got my hands to them.

“It is absolutely great to win the cup and get some silverware in the bag and the best thing was seeing my son holding the trophy up. It’s a special feeling.”

Falmouth Packet:

Wendron 'keeper Jon Row is mobbed by his team-mates at full-time in the final. Pic: Sam Barnes/Cartel