Wendron United 3, Falmouth Town 1 – Combination League, November 2003

IN blustery conditions at Underlane Park, an ever-improving Wendron collected another three points to see off high scoring Falmouth Town in the Jolly’s Combination League.

Wendron adapted to the conditions from the first minute and played a very disciplined and controlled game, something which Town might well have been advised to follow as they finished the game with two players sent off and three bookings.

Wendron’s youthful team looked comfortable in the first 15 minutes of play with 16-year-old Michael O’Neill coming close on a couple of occasions and David Toy hitting the corner of the upright after a glorious flowing move along the length of the park.

Dominic Pullen’s strength and tireless running was a constant thorn in Falmouth’s side and caused continual problems for Town’s defence.

Falmouth’s best chance of the half fell to Andrew Westgarth who failed to hit the target from the edge of the box when he really should have scored. Fifteen minutes into the game Wendron suffered a setback when skipper Nick Seviour had to be substituted after suffering a twisted knee.

Wendron’s substitute Simon Williamson stepped into his shoes and immediately showed his abilities with his accurate passing and crossing, which caused problems for Town later in the game.

Wendron changed their shape with 16-year-old right back Adam Toy stepping into centre back position with Steve Opie who controlled his back four superbly. Adam Toy’s performance for a 16-year-old was superb and left manager Stuart Wilkes singing his praises after the game.

Wendron’s central midfield pairing of Gillett and Miles were in no mood for compromises and dominated the midfield from start to finish.

After a goalless first half, the game came to life in the second half. Wendron’s first goal came after a continued period of pressure from Wendron resulting in Town being unable to clear their defence quickly enough and Duncan Gillett being first to react to the loose ball and coolly poking the ball past the ’keeper.

Wendron continued to take the game to Falmouth and Wendron’s silky David Toy should have scored when clean through but sliced his shot wide of the upright.

With 15 minutes to go Miller brought himself on for Westgarth and tried to make his presence felt in what was still a very tight game, but Adam Toy dealt comfortably with what Miller had to offer.

As the second half continued Falmouth again came back into the game and equalised with ten minutes to go after a great shot from the edge of the box from Robbie Warner which gave Scoffin no chance in the Wendron goal.

Falmouth then had a great chance to take the lead with Robbie Warner clean through only for a fantastic defensive tackle from Anthony Williams to deny him getting in his shot.

It was at this point that the game started to take a bizarre twist with Town holding the upper hand. With ten minutes to go Dominic Pullen jinked through the Falmouth defence only to be brought down from behind and a penalty being awarded.

The penalty seemed to incense player manager James Miller who ran fully 30 yards to voice his opinion over what seemed a clear penalty. This gave the referee no choice but to send off Miller for foul and abusive language. Indeed, Town were fortunate not to have others booked in the melee that followed the penalty decision whilst the referee was dealing with Miller.

With the game stopped for a period of three to four minutes Andy Miles calmly waited to take the penalty from which he gave the ’keeper no chance.

Town’s chances soon disappeared as their players lost their cool and discipline resulting in two more bookings and Chris Earl being sent off for a second bookable offence.

In the last four minutes of the game Wendron continued to apply pressure to Town’s defence resulting in another good move between Wendron’s “Mr Consistent” – Simon Williams – and Simon Williamson, the latter releasing Miles who after drawing the ’keeper calmly clipped the ball inside the post to give Wendron all three points.

After the game Wendron’s manager was delighted with the result: “The fact that it was Falmouth Town we beat was not important, the fact we got three deserved points was,” said Wilkes. “We have a fantastic wealth of young talent at the club, as I have made Cornwall Youth team manager Ronnie Barr aware of.

“How Adam Toy and possibly two others at the club are not in the county youth team set up, amazes me. They must have a fantastic squad to keep these players out.

“Before the game I had blunt talks with some of the players in my team questioning their desire to play at Wendron. Today all the players proved their worth with outstanding performances in which Duncan Gillett and Adam Toy was pick of the bunch.”