Falmouth Hockey Club enjoyed a triple-header of pre-season matches at home to Newquay on Saturday.

The first-team match began on a sunny morning with Falmouth fast off the blocks, taking control of the game.

Becky Paisley gave Falmouth the lead with a fine strike, after some tidy build up play mid way through the first half.

Falmouth’s lead was extended before the break by player of the match Evelyn Heather, after she picked the ball up on the half way line before driving the length of the pitch beating several Newquay players before hitting a clean strike into the top corner. Newquay managed to pull one back after a goal mouth scramble saw the ball cross the line.

Falmouth's two-goal lead was restored by Clare Hudson after she received the ball from out wide, the ball being played in by Evelyn; Clare controlled and struck the ball quickly from the top of the D finding the back of the net.

Newquay responded with a snap shot from the penalty spot after mounting pressure.

Falmouth saw out the game for a deserved win, largely thanks to a fine all round display from the midfield players, who as a collective kept up a high tempo of movement and play throughout the whole game.

Falmouth goalkeeper and captain, Hannah Mathias said: “I was really pleased with the effort put in by all today, the speed with which we moved the ball made the difference. It’s good to see our efforts in training paying off and showing on the pitch.”

Falmouth seconds were in fine form in their friendly against Newquay, and by the half time were already four goals ahead before going on to win 6-0.

Becky Howes scored a hat trick on her debut for the club with further goals coming from Vic Ruston, Millie Cunliffe and Suzanne Bull.

Captain Rachel Medd said after the game: "We have looked really strong in training and I’m pleased to see we are carrying what we have learnt onto the pitch. I think we will be a very hard team to beat this season."

A young Falmouth thirds team had a difficult task as they played a more experienced team. Newquay thirds did not have enough players, so some of their first and second team helped out to avoid cancelling the fixture.

Newquay emerged 7-0 winners, but the Falmouth team worked hard and will have learnt from the experience and did not give up.