Penryn Athletic showed great character to come from a goal down to win 3-1 against St Austell in the quarter final of the St Piran League Cup

The match kicked off with Athletic starting the better of the two sides but they failed to take their early chances, several corners and Ryan Reeve's low cross/shot was the closest they came to breaking the deadlock in the opening stages.

A youthful St Austell side had a swift counter-attack up their sleeve and fired a warning shot after ten minutes when Zack O' Connor rattled the bar from 20 yards out.

Penryn rallied back and had a number of opportunities to take the lead, Nick Boase headered a free-kick wide, Reeve smashed a low shot wide, and Tyler Cooke hit the crossbar after getting on the end of a free-kick.

Despite the pressure, it was St Austell who took the lead. Cameron Hutchinson, who was as danger all match, was fed in behind the backline. The winger had the composure to dance his way around the remaining challenges before calmly finding the bottom right corner with ease.

Penryn showed the determination of a side who had won all of their last five games and hit back in the 37th minute through Bradley Leivers. Morgan Vallejo delivered a dangerous free-kick that was diverted goalwards. The keeper made an unbelievable save but the rebound found Leivers who was in the right place to tap home the rebound to level the scores.

Hungry for more and spurred on by manager Harry Pope Ryn got a second goal just minutes later with a goal of the highest quality. Leivers span away from his man with a dainty flick before laying the ball off to Reeve. The attacker shifted the ball onto his left before firing back across the goalie and into the opposite corner to give the away side the lead going into halftime.

After the break Jack Rapsey was sent on to try and extend the lead but he missed a glaring opportunity in the 63rd minute. The striker latched onto a Reeve cross but despite being less than 12 yards out could only direct his shot into the arms of the keeper. 

In the 89th minute Reeve exploited the space left by the generous hosts as he scampered down the right side and into the box. The forward unselfishly laid the ball across to Jake Shaw who tapped in from six yards.

Speaking after the match Penryn manager Harry Pope was delighted with the way his side responded to falling behind he said: "I was really pleased with the response, we wanted to come out strongly and we didn't and then obviously going a goal behind that is the worst start you can get. We showed a lot of character to score two quick goals."

"Sometimes you make a plan and it doesn't come to fruition but credit to the lads for digging in despite going a goal down, second half was a lot better. I'm just delighted to get through to the semi final." added Pope.

The result means Penryn will face the Illogan in the semi final. 

Falmouth Packet Man of the Match: Brandon Leivers.

Goalscorers: Leivers, Reeve, Shaw.