Falmouth Town began their South West Peninsula League season with a comfortable 0-2 victory away to local rivals Wendron.

Town sealed the Kevin Williamson memorial shield, a trophy played in honour of the former Wendron Chairman, with two first half goals from forward Tim Nixon.

The game got off to a hectic start as both sides showed some early season nerves in the opening minutes in front of a bumper crowd at Underlane. Gradually Town began to control the game but were guilty of giving the ball away at the final pass.

David Broglino forced a busy Wendron goalkeeper Ethan Fearn into a flying save in the 22nd minute. The shot was bound for the top corner but for the athleticism of the Wendron number one.

Falmouth eventually broke through in the 31st minute, a vicious corner flew to the back post and the ball was nodded back across goal to Nixon who was left unmarked. The forward had the simple task of nodding it into the net to open his and Falmouth's account for the season.

Town's goal settled them and they were able to keep the ball for large amounts of time working the Wendron defence. Although the hosts occasionally threatened on the counter attack but provided minimal danger to a strong Falmouth back line.

Three minutes shy of half time Falmouth doubled their lead. Wendron cheaply surrendered possession in the midfield and the ball was played in behind the defence to Nixon. His first shot was parried by the goalkeeper but the rebound deflected toward the goal and the forward had the simple task of passing home do get his second of the game.

Wendron needed to come out of the blocks and at Falmouth in the second half but the Dron often struggled to get any foothold in the game.

A number of changes and injuries disrupted the flow of the match that never lived up to the heights of the first half. Falmouth could and perhaps should have scored two more late on. Alex Wharton was played though on goal but put his effort straight at Fearn.

Nixon had a glorious opportunity in the 83rd minute to take the match ball, but he squandered his effort by blazing it high over the bar.

Falmouth Town Manager Andrew Westgarth was pleased not only with the win but the complete performance from his side to stop Wendron from getting on the scoresheet, he said: " I think I was more pleased with the clean sheet than the game itself. Second half was non existent, we scored at key times the second goal being practically on half time which put us on the front foot.

"It is hard to be too critical because I would have taken the result before the game but the second half felt like a training match it was so slow, we had total control. We know we have extra gears and can step it up so there is no panic coming from us, we know we can do even better."

Town play Penzance in their next game at Bickland Park on Wednesday August 11.

Wendron Manager Michael O Neill after the game was disappointed with the result but saw positive signs from his team of improvement in the future: "We always want to start the season off with a win but ultimately the season won't be defined by what we do against Falmouth Town.

"It's our first real full season at this level and we need to find our feet. I was impressed with the performance but it was still a loss but we are not out here to get beat every week. We are here to compete and be a strong." said O Neill.

Wendron have another local match in their next game when they travel to Kernick Park to face Penryn on Tuesday August 10.

Packet Man of the Match. Tim Nixon.