Falmouth Town retained their position at the top of the South West Peninsula League (SWPL) with a 0-6 away thumping of Porthleven at Gala Parc. 

It was a perfect evening for football as the game kicked off, the wide nature of the Porthleven pitch allowed for both sides to get the ball down and play some nice football in the opening minutes. 

Gradually Falmouth began to take the upper hand in the match and took the lead in the 12th minute. Porthleven tried playing out from the back but were dispossessed by David Broglino. The midfielder fancied his chances and belted a 25-yard rocket into the top left hand corner past Martyn Webster. 

Buoyed by this stunner Falmouth doubled their lead just two minutes as winger Alex Wharton scored his first of the season. The move started on the right hand side, Oli Walker will excellently well to lose his marker with a cheeky step over. His cross into the box found Wharton who powered home a header with 14 minutes played. 

Porthleven struggled to break down a stern Falmouth defence who hadn't conceded all season. The home sides biggest threat was their winger Sam Leslie, who was a handful for Harry Clarke throughout the first half. He linked up well with Dan Richardson whose dangerous cross was cleared only as far as Leslie but his goalbound effort was hooked off the line by James Ward.

Throughout the remainder of the half, Town continued to press forward in search of another goal but an inspired performance from Porthleven keeper Webster kept the scoreline down. Eventually, the third goal came in the 40th minute. Luke Barner made a great run third man run through the heart of the defence and was well picked out with a  lofted through ball. Barner when faced by the goalie had the ability to skip past him before rolling the ball into the open net. 

Virtually on half time, Walker was guilty of missing a sitter for Falmouth. He had swapped wings with Wharton and the latter delivered a cross but despite being only yards out from goal Walker managed to hook the ball back into play rather than into the back of the net. 

Falmouth Packet: The teams ready for the start of the second halfThe teams ready for the start of the second half

Prior to this game, Falmouth had failed to score in the second half all season. The supporting F - Troop will have been delighted to see this unwanted statistic blown out of the window as Town turned on the style in the second 45. 

Wharton was unlucky not to get his second in the 51st minute, his curling left footed shot glanced off the outside of the post as Town turned up the heat. He didn't have to wait long to find the back of the net again however as on the hour mark he made it four.

A classic counter attack saw Wharton and Barner link up nicely with a  one-two. Wharton with time on the right side of the area buried a shot hard and low to the keepers near post to grab his second of the game. 

In the 69th minute, it was five. Oli Walker was played in behind when faced in on goal the winger could have shot but the angle was constantly narrowing, instead, he unselfishly fed the ball across the box to substitute Tim Nixon who converted from close range. 

Ryan Barnes ensured he kept his fourth clean sheet of the season with a wonderful close range reaction save to deny Jamie Greet for scoring a consolation goal for the hosts. 

The F Troop were loving the quality performance from their side. In the 78th minute, Wharton was denied his hat trick by the offside flag.  Tom Annear then hit the crossbar with a long-range lob which had the keeper stranded. 

Town added their sixth and last goal of the game through an unlikely source substitute centre back Toby Clark. They kept a corner alive and Annear pumped a ball to the back post to Ward. The defender flicked the ball back across goal and Clark was in the right place to side foot the ball home. 

Speaking after the game Falmouth Town Manager Andrew Westgarth was happy with his side's victory, he said: " I'm absolutely delighted, loads of positives tonight, the clean sheet was massive to score in the second half as well was pleasing! A landmark for Nixon too to score on his 100th appearance for Town so it was great.

"Winning comes a habit and we didn't want to get into the habit of not scoring in the second half. 

"The amount of chances we created it was a pleasure to watch, we had a goal disallowed, we hit the bar, we hit the post, their goalkeeper had a great nights work he was probably their man of the match."

Falmouth host Launceston in their next SWPL game on Saturday August 21. 

Packet Man of the Match: Luke Barner

Falmouth Town: R.Barnes, S. Kellow, H. Clarke, J.Webber, T. Annear, O. Walker, D. Broglino, L. Brabyn A. Wharton.

Subs: C. Edney, T. Nixon, T. Clark, R. Martt

Porthleven: M. Webster, E. Estell, J. Greet, I. Dryburgh, M. Roberts, D. Greet, S. Leslie, D. Richardson, R. Wearne, C. Young, D. Parker.

Subs: J. Salter, J. Wood, F. Williams. C. Webb


D. Broglino

A. Wharton x2 

L. Barner

T. Nixon

T. Clark