Helston Athletic manager Steve Massey rued his sidewise lack of game management as they once again drew at home when they had been comfortably leading.

The Blues were 2-0 up at half time in midweek against Millbrook but a second-half collapse and a stoppage-time penalty for their East Cornwall opponents Millbrook meant Helston had to settle for a point.

Speaking to the Packet Massey said: "I think the commentary summed it up perfectly we were the architects of our own downfall. Sam Buckley loses the ball in the middle of the park towards their last third, he tried to come inside instead of going down the line but he gets the ball taken off him. That sets off a chain of other events because they then knock the ball down the channel to their win. Jackson (Penhallurick) closes him down and pushes him in the back.

"It was a daft free-kick to give away, from the free-kick it goes straight to Marko's (Radovanovic) hands but they get a penalty from it."

READ MORE: Helston Athletic vs Millbrook Toolstation Western League report

Helston fielded a young side against Millbrook and the lack of experience to see the game out showed in the second half, Massey reflected on his young players and how they will learn from this moment.

"We have to be a bit more streetwise." He said. "They are young kids, they are going to be good players but I can't allow it I have to draw the line between giving these players the opportunity to make a mistake or two but not at the cost of us going for a championship which we want to do.

"We want to be right up there. We have our sights set on the top four at Christmas time, and then to stay in and around then and see where it takes us.

"I really believe in these young guys, ever since I have been here I have given them the opportunity but they have to really learn quickly.

"It might hurt now but they will benefit from it there will be lessons learned. It was a tough one to take because we were quite relaxed and really composed in the dressing room. We thought just go and get the next goal and kill it off but it didn't work out that way.


Ryan Turner thought he had won the game when he scored from close range in the 86th minute

Ryan Turner thought he had won the game when he scored from close range in the 86th minute

The biggest talking point from the game was referee Mike Halford's decision to award Millbrook a penalty deep into stoppage time, a decision that bemused Massey. Speaking about the incident the Manager said: "That ball went straight, and very rapidly into our goalkeeper's hands, there was no way whatsoever that anybody could have an effect on that ball or the flight of the ball because it was whipped in so quickly. You can see that none of the Millbrook players appeal for it.

"I think the referee should have held his whistle, and see what happens with the body language or appeals from the players."

Next up for Helston is an away trip to Wadebridge in the Cornwall Senior Cup and it's a competition that Massey keenly has his eyes set on. He said: "From a personal point of view it is the one trophy I have not won in Cornwall, I've never been to a cup final.

"I would really love to win it, I would like to add my name to the list of talented managers and legends in Cornwall to have won it, and for the football club. Helston reached the final a couple of seasons ago and narrowly lost out. I'd like us to go far in this competition I really would."