Despite leading twice through a brace from Morgan Vallejo Penryn played out a 2-2 draw with second-bottom placed Callington Town in a closely contested match at Kernick Road.

The game got off to a slow start with neither side really having anything clear cut in the opening stages, although Penryn had a goal disallowed in the sixth minute as Vallejo was flagged offside from a cross before tapping in.

Lewis Phillips had an edge of the box strike for Callington but the midfielders attempt ended up over the clubhouse and into the car park rather than the back of the net after nine minutes

A long-range teaser from striker Jack Rapsey is the closest Penryn came in the opening 15, but the effort was straight down the throat of the goalkeeper.

The soft pitch was holding up well following Friday night's torrential rain and Penryn had their best chance to grace it with a goal after 23 minutes. A cross from the left found Rapsey who had his shot blocked. The rebound fell to Ryan Reeve but his swivel and shot was well palmed over by the keeper.

From the following corner, Penryn took the lead. It was a deep cross to Bradley Leievers and the winger nodded his effort back across the goal, Nick Boase dived in and missed the ball but it fell kindly to Vallejo who side-footed a volley into the bottom right corner to make it 1-0.

The home side could have doubled their lead in the 30th minute. Leivers latched onto the end of a long free-kick, but his header was fingertipped onto the outside of the post from the goalkeeper.

A quiet spell followed as most of the action was amongst the midfield, Callington had a lot of possession but didn't threaten until a Penryn mistake in the 41st minute.

The home sides captain Russell May was caught in possession on the edge of his own box by Jack Tribble, the forward was in on goal but unselfishly played in Luke Cloke who tapped into the empty net for 1-1.

Penryn flew out of the blocks after the break and scored in the 48th minute to retake the lead. A long ball forward caused Callington keeper Steve France to come out of his box to clear. His effort however was scuffed and bobbled straight to Vallejo who from 25 yards passed the ball into the open net to make it 2-1.

The home side failed to capitalise on their lead as once again Callington bounced back into the game, Cloke was unlucky not to have his second due to an immense last ditch block from May in the 51st minute.

Callington would find an equaliser just after the hour mark. Again Penryn were guilty of giving the ball away cheaply, the ball was worked to winger and constant threat throughout the game Xoli Ncube, who beat his man before firing a low shot in at the near post to make it level the scores.

Penryn were having joy with the over the top through balls, Leivers beat the goalkeeper to an aerial effort, his knockdown found Reeve but the strikers controlled volley was well saved by the keeper. From the following corner, Boase got free at the front post but glanced over.

In fact Penryn could and perhaps should have scored a third in the 83rd minute. A James Daniel cross was spilt by the keeper to Rapsey. The striker was composed to go around the flailing arms of the keeper but he fluffed his lines at the shot and a tame effort was hooked away.

Ncube had the last chance to win the game for Callington but his effort in the 89th minute was superbly blocked by Daniel.

The full-time whistle saw Penryn fall to ninth while Callington move up to 15th.

Penryn Athletic:

A. Robathon, J. Mcilroy, R. May, R. Reeve, J. Rapsey, F. Harris, K. McPhilbin, N. Boase, C. Powell, M. Vallejo, B. Leivers

Subs: J. Shaw, A. Williams, B. Williams, A. Hayhoe, J. Daniel

Callington Town:

S. France, J. Powell, M. Edwards, L. Phillips, B. McGowan, R. Card, J. Willmott, B. Northcott, J. Tribble, L. Cloke, X. Ncube.

Subs: T.Phillips, O. Raven, A. Cole, W. Milne