Falmouth progressed to the next round to the Cornwall Senior Cup with a memorable 3-5 away win over Bodmin.

Falmouth were 0-3 to the good thanks to goals from Jack Bray-Evans and a David Broglino brace.
But a second-half comeback from Bodmin with two strikes from Dan Jennings and a goal from Saddam Bello threatened to take the game to  extra time and penalties.

But two late goals from winger Tim Nixon ensured Falmouth of place in the hat for the Third Round.

As he did in their last game for Falmouth against Bradford Town, Jack Bray-Evans opened the scoring. A Falmouth corner was cleared to the edge of the area, a shot was fizzed back in to Bray-Evans who used his quick feet to control the ball and fire into the far corner in the sixth minute in front of the travelling fans.

It was the perfect start for Falmouth who doubled their lead just two minutes later with a clinical counterattack. Bray-Evans was involved again as he linked up well to set Tim Nixon away down the right. The speedy winger was able to pick out midfielder David Broglino who was unmarked and able to fire into the bottom right corner.

The home side were unlucky not to grab a goal of their own in the 14th minute. Saddam Bello stepped up to take a free-kick, but his curling effort from 25 yards came crashing off the crossbar.

The next phase of the game saw Bodmin grow into the match but despite this, they failed to trouble Falmouth. Dan Jennings should have done better after latching onto a Sol Wheatley cross. But the strikers diving header was over the bar in the 30th minute.

Falmouth’s counter attack was a constant threat in the first half and they were unlucky not to add a third in the 32nd minute. Nixon’s pace was utilised again down the right, his low cross was just in front of the sliding Luke Brabyn but fell to Bray-Evans but the wingers chipped effort flicked off the top of the bar.

Ryan Barnes, the hero of Town’s FA Vase win last time out, performed heroics again to keep Bodmin at bay in the 41st minute. Wheatley did well for the home side to shuffle the ball onto his strong right foot before firing a ferocious shot at the Falmouth goal from more than 20 yards out.

The strike was moving all over the place on its goal-bound journey but a strong outstretched glove of Barnes denied the midfielder a way back into the match.

There were minutes added on for stoppages after Scott Kellow suffered a head injury late in the first half, Bodmin’s Jennings was booked for trying to pick the Falmouth man up off the floor when it was clear the player was in distress. Kellow after a lengthy delay and a lot of cold spray and ice packs was able to continue.

Falmouth Packet: Jack Bray-Evans opened the scoring for FalmouthJack Bray-Evans opened the scoring for Falmouth

Bodmin came out for the second half with a point to prove and six minutes into the second period they should have got a goal back. Louis Rooney was one on one with Barnes but the former Plymouth Argyle striker saw his effort well saved, the rebound fell to Jennings who could only hit the post.

This was costly as in the 53rd minute Falmouth added a third. Broglino had a free-kick over 20 yards out and the set-piece specialist got his effort up and over the wall into the bottom corner leaving the Bodmin keeper stranded.

The turning point in the match occurred in the 57th minute when Falmouth had the opportunity to put the game beyond doubt after Brabyn was felled in the box. The striker picked himself up to take the penalty but saw his strike come back off the crossbar.

The miss looked to give the home side some belief and they got their first of the afternoon in the 66th minute when Bello who drove through several tackles fired into the bottom corner from the left side of the box.

A comeback was on the cards for Bodmin who two minutes later got a second. A low long-range shot fell perfectly to Jennings who was able to prod home from close range.

Bodmin were looking like a completely different side and sensing a headline-making comeback they attacked and scored again in the 73rd minute.

Bello was at the heart of the move, picking the ball up from deep and driving through two Falmouth defenders before squaring to Jennings who had the simple task of tapping into the empty net to make it 3-3.

Momentum was on the home teams side as they pressed for a fourth but a sloppy mistake from their keeper gifted Falmouth a way back into the lead. Broglino had a dangerous long shot that bounced just in front of the keeper, who spilt the ball straight to Nixon who latched onto the rebound to put Town back in front at 3-4 in the 78th minute.

Falmouth used the remaining time wisely to keep the ball in the corner and stop Bodmin from finding another way back into the game. In stoppage time however, the game was written off for good thanks to another Nixon goal.

Barner had a shot on the edge of the area which was well blocked, the ricochet fell kindly to Nixon who skilfully hit the ball first time into the bottom corner to send the fans wild.

A memorable win for Falmouth who are into the next round and continue their winning run.

Packet Man of the Match: Tim Nixon.Falmouth Packet: Nixon celebrating his second goalNixon celebrating his second goal