Ryan Turner’s late tap-in secured a dramatic 3-2 victory for Helston Athletic in a thrilling Cornwall Senior Cup tie against Liskeard at Kellaway Park writes Matt Friday.

Steve Massey made three changes to the side that defeated Ashton and Backwell United last time out, with striker Stuart Bowker, defender Reece Shanley and young goalkeeper Leo Summers replacing Mattie Buchan, Orlando Anker and Cory Harvey respectively.

Helston flew out of the blocks and the hosts thought they’d won a penalty in the second minute when referee James Long pointed to the spot after Bowker was felled by visiting gloveman Luke Gwillam, only to change his mind upon consulting his assistant on the far side.
Aside from a Max Gilbert effort that flew past Summers’ right post, it was one-way Helston traffic as Bowker flashed a shot wide from distance before another effort was scrambled off the line. Turner drove over the bar from a narrow angle later on before Bowker was denied by Gwillam from close range.

The inevitable breakthrough came just after the half-hour mark as Helston made their early dominance pay, with Storey rising highest to meet Bye’s corner and power an unstoppable header into the top corner.
The lively Bowker saw two chances to add a second before the break go begging, but Massey barely had time to return to the dugout at the start of the second half before seeing his side extend their lead.

A pass evaded an outstretched Liskeard boot and found its way to Bye, whose first-time effort flew into the net via Gwillam’s left post.
But Liskeard were keen to stay in the competition and show just why they were yet to suffer defeat so far this term, and they did exactly that in the space of five devastating minutes.

Robinson entered the field in the 70th minute and halved the deficit for his side only two minutes later, exploiting the chasm between the centre halves and showing composure to slot the ball past the onrushing Summers.
All of a sudden we had a match on our hands and that feeling intensified five minutes later as the away side inexplicably hauled themselves level.

Super-sub Robinson had acres of space at the back post to fire a looping cross into the far corner and send the visiting bench into raptures.
The stage was perfectly set for a grandstand finish and the drama continued when Liskeard’s Jack Podmore was sin binned for dissent on the 80-minute mark.

Still reeling from the earlier body blow, Helston made the most of their man advantage and picked themselves off the canvas to grab what would surely prove to be the winner.

Helston’s own replacement Craig Veal scampered down the right of the box and sent the ball across goal to the unmarked Turner, who had the freedom of the Liskeard area to prod the ball into the unguarded net.
The match boiled over in the dying embers when a touchline disagreement sparked a melee between the two benches and sets of players.

Liskeard came agonisingly close to forcing extra time in the sixth of those when Gilbert curled an exquisite free-kick against Summers’ upright with the youthful custodian rooted to his spot, but Helston held on to win.