Falmouth Town made it 13 league wins in a row as they beat local rivals Wendron United 5-2 at Bickland Park.

In a frantic opening ten minutes, Jack Bray-Evans opened the scoring but the game was level when Toby Clark scored an own goal a minute later. Falmouth then took the lead two minutes after through David Broglino.

Two more first-half goals from Luke Brabyn and Luke Barner had Falmouth in the ascendency before Joe Souch pulled one back for Wendron early in the second half.

Broglino sealed the win nine minutes from time for the hosts with his second and Falmouth's fifth of the night. Town are now six clear at the top of the league.

Falmouth opened the scoring in just the fourth minute of the game with Jack Bray-Evans scoring the first goal for the third game in a row.

The midfielder was allowed space on the edge of the area, he shot goalward but saw his effort deflected. The ricochet wrong-footed the goalkeeper and went into the far corner to give the home side the perfect start.

But Wendron were there to spoil the home sides party and hit back a minute later in the next attack. They worked the well down the left. Cam Wheat superbly picked out Kian Thomas with a switched ball. The winger skilfully brought the ball down and fired towards the goal but saw his shot deflected in off Toby Clark ahttps://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/19712926.cornwall-senior-cup-quarter-final-draw-full/nd the game was level again.

Just two minutes later Falmouth were back in front. Brabyn picked up possession and unleashed a shot goalwards which was well blocked by the defender, the ball fell nicely to Broglino who confidently struck a half volley first time into the top left corner to make it 2-1 with just seven minutes played.

With nine minutes on the clock, Broglino ought to have scored again but his low shot was saved by the feet of Fearn.

In the 19th minute, the hosts got the third goal their pressure deserved. Wendron playing against the wind tried playing out from the back but recklessly gave the ball away to Falmouth. Brabyn was played in and the striker slotted his shot into the back of the net.

The goals were well and truly flowing as Falmouth scored a fourth with 23 minutes played. The ball was crossed to the back post where Nixon was unmarked. He picked out Broglino who scuffed a low shot goalbound. The shot was on course to be saved by the keeper until Luke Barner got a flick on it to divert the shot. The first effort was saved but the forward was quickest to react to the loose ball to tap home.

4-1 and seemingly comfortable, Falmouth nearly conceded when Reece Carroll had a long shot for Wendron but the outstretched arms of Barnes kept the left-back at bay in the 27th minute.

Barner had another long-range effort for Town who looked dangerous every time they attacked but his shot was well stopped by Fearn.

After the break, it was Wendron who came out with a point to prove and they got the goal their early pressure warranted in the 51st minute.

Joe Souch chased a ball to the touchline and kept it in. The number ten beat two before hitting a low shot into the back of the net at the keepers near post to make it 4-2.

Falmouth had a whole host of chances squandered in the second half as they looked to put the game beyond doubt.

The home side were strong on the counter and Barner was unfortunate not to add his second on the hour mark when he hit a shot just over the target from a tight angle.

Wendron could have got a third and in the 69th minute as they broke from a Falmouth corner. The away side had a three vs two on the right but Thomas’ cut back couldn’t find a Wendron shirt.

Falmouth gave a second-half debut to Tom Moxham who had signed from Newquay on Thursday. The left-back was unfortunate not to mark the occasion with a goal in the 74th minute. He was encouraged to shoot from around 30 yards and obliged, his rocketing strike looked bound for the top corner but for the fingertips of Fearn.

Town eventually got the goal that would calm the home sides nerves and seal the game in the 81st minute through a second goal for Broglino. The centre midfielder who put in a man of the match performance played a tidy one-two with Brabyn as he burst into the box. The return pass was on a plate for the midfielder who places his strike into the bottom corner to make it 5-2.

It is now 13 wins out of 13 in the league for Falmouth Town who are away to Buckland Athletic in their next game in the FA Vase on Saturday, November 20.

Packet man of the match: David Broglino

Falmouth Town:

R. Barnes, S. Kellow, T. Annear, A. Calleja-Stayne, J. Ward, J. Bray-Evans, D. Broglino, L. Brabyn, L. Barner, T. Nixon

Subs: H. Clarke, R. Martt, A. Wharton, T. Moxham, C. Edney.

Wendron United:

E. Fearn, F. Walter, R. Carroll, M. Roberts, L. Padgeth, C. Young, K. Thomas, J. Stocker, C. Young, J. Souch, C. Wheat

Subs: S. Palmer, J. Chapman, B. Stone, L. Potts

Attendance 545

READ NEXT: Cornwall Senior Cup Quarter Final draw