Two second half penalties from Stu Bowker rescued three points for Helston in their 2-1 home victory against Street FC.

After a dreary first half where very little action took place, against the run of play, Street took the lead when Kyle Strange scored from close range.

Helston fired back later in the half when on both occasions Billy Tucker was upended in the box.

Bowker sent both of his penalty strikes into the back of the net to give Helston a much needed three points.

The first half saw a number of half chances but nothing clear cut for either side as on many an occasion the final pass was lacking.

Bowker was unlucky not to get on a superb delivery from Reece Shanley in the 13th minute.

As ever, Bowker was the target man for most of Helston’s attacks and the forward got on the end of a pinpoint Billy Tucker pass before cutting in and shooting just wide in the 24th minute.

In the 37th minute Tucker had a free kick for the hosts but his low, firm drive was easily cleared.

Street had the best chance of scoring in the first half three minutes shy of half time. Korey Andrews found Captain Harry Foster with a well weighted pass, the striker took the shot on his left foot but was denied by Cory Harvey at his near post.

After the break both sides came out looking to put a forgetful first half behind them. Orlando Anker beat two men on the right side in the 49th minute, before laying the ball off to Bowker. But the strikers effort was sliced wide of the target.

In the 54th minute, against the run of play, Street took the lead with a clinical counter attack. The ball was played to Foster on the left he beat his man but was fouled.

The referee played a good advantage allowing the ball to run through to Jordan Lovibond. The number 11 worked the ball to the by-line before having a shot which was well saved by Harvey, but the rebound fell kindly to Strange who gratefully tapped into the open goal to make it 0-1.

Two minutes later full back Josh Phillips for Street was lucky not to receive a second yellow card for what looked to be a deliberate hand ball.

Foster squandered a glaring opportunity for Street to double their lead on the hour mark. A counter attack saw them have numbers on Helston, the ball was clipped to Foster but his back post volley was met by a strong reflex save by Harvey.

Substitute Craig Veal ought to have done better for Helston in the 70th minute when he latched onto a Ryan Turner cross but the striker could only head over the bar.

Four minutes later however they would have the chance to take the lead from the spot after Turner was sent tumbling in the box from Street’s Phillips.

Bowker took the responsibility and comfortably sent the keeper the wrong way to level the scores.

All to play for with 15 minutes to go Helston gave it everything as they went in search for a winner and in the 87th minute they had that opportunity after the referee awarded a second penalty.

Tucker did brilliantly to drive at the defence but as he knocked the ball passed his man the Street defender was adjudged to have illegally brought the winger down.

Bowker again stepped up and expertly tucked his penalty into the top right corner to make it 2-1 and send the Helston contingent wild.

It wasn’t an easy three points, but Helston held on for the which keeps them in the title hunt.

Next up for Athletic is another home match against Shepton Mallet on Saturday, September 20.