Jack Bray-Evans scored twice as Falmouth Town extended their lead at the top of the South West Peninsula League to seven points with a 4-2 win against third-placed Camelford.

Bray-Evans opened the scoring in the ninth minute and Town doubled their lead shortly after the interval through Andreas-Calleja Stayne.

A Cam Hutchinson goal in the 57th minute reduced the deficit but Falmouth regained their two-goal advantage immediately through Luke Brabyn from the penalty spot, before Bray-Evans added his second later in the half.

A stoppage-time consolation goal from Hutchinson failed to dampen the spirits of the Falmouth side who have won all 14 of their league games this season.

Town took the lead in the ninth minute through Jack Bray-Evans after a long free-kick was sent into the area and flicked on by Toby Clark to Bray-Evans who was unmarked. The forward had time to calmly dispatch a half volley into the bottom right corner in front of the Packet End to give Falmouth the perfect start.

James Ward, who scored twice last time the sides met saw a header flicked over the bar in the 13th minute as Town dominated the opening exchanges.

Falmouth were guilty of lacking quality with their final pass on several occasions as they looked to extend their lead.

At the other end of the pitch Ryan Barnes made a sharp reflex save in the 29th minute to keep Falmouth in front. Ed Harrison did fantastically evade three Town players before cutting the ball to Andy Boxhall. The attacker had a low shot from the edge of the area but Barnes was down quickly to keep him at bay.

Camelford keeper Josh Colwill made a tremendous save to deny Luke Brabyn a minute later. With his back to goal on the edge of the penalty box, Brabyn did fantastically work some space before unleashing a rocket bound for the top corner. However, a strong outstretched hand from the Camelford shot-stopper him at bay.

Andreas Calleja-Stayne forced the keeper into another good stop in the 35th minute. Kirk Davies picked up the ball 25 yards out and was encouraged to shoot, instead he picked out Calleja-Stayne who shot hard and low across the goal. But the effort was well parried.

Brabyn broke the offside trap in the 37th minute and from a tight angle opted to square the ball to Barner who was better placed, but his pass was under-hit and cleared to safety by the defender.

After the interval, the visitors had a great opportunity to equalise in the 46th minute after Ward brought down Harrison in shooting range. The following free-kick from twenty yards out was well saved by Barnes, a goalmouth scramble ensued before Town could eventually clear.

In the 49th minute, Falmouth got the second goal they had been craving through Calleja-Stayne.

Tom Annear delivered a superb cross to the back post for Brabyn. The forward brought the ball down nicely for Calleja-Stayne who, while sliding, struck the ball into the top left.

The next ten minutes were relatively quiet before a hectic spell where two goals were scored in two minutes. The visitors scored the first in the 57th minute. Ryan Downing opened his legs and tore down the left-hand side, his low shot was parried as far as Cam Hutchinson who tapped in.

Any hopes that this would put the away side back in the game were diminished in Falmouth’s next attack a minute later. Brabyn was sent away down the right and attempted to cross into the box. But his ball was blocked by the outstretched arm of the Camelford defender, with the linesman flagging for the penalty.

Brabyn stepped up and confidently dispatched the penalty down the middle to give Town some breathing space.

Downing once again showed his pace in the 64th minute, storming away from Falmouth’s Clark before picking out Hutchinson at the back post with an exquisite low cross. The winger elected to take a touch and in doing so allowed goalkeeper Barnes to rush out and make a great save.

Tim Nixon was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet when he was played in by Jack Bray-Evans but his effort bobbled wide of the target after 66 minutes.

But Town put the game beyond doubt in the 71st minute through Bray-Evans who had put in a man of the match display. Davies cut inside and curled a delightful ball to the goal scorer who was left unmarked to head home at the near post.

Camelford were reduced to ten men in the 77th minute when Bobby Hopkinson was booked for dissent toward the referee. Falmouth couldn’t take advantage of this though but came close through a 25-yard strike from David Broglino which was inches wide of the mark.

There was a stoppage in play in the 84th minute when Falmouth’s Nixon was kicked in the face when going for a header resulting in an extended stoppage time.

Camelford made the most of the extra minutes added on at full time by scoring a consolation goal. The same combination prevailed again as Downing drove down the left and fed Hutchinson who put his shot into the bottom left corner with virtually the last kick of the game.

The victory means Falmouth extend their lead at the top of the table to seven points ahead of next weeks first vs second match against Liskeard at Lux Park.

Packet Man of the match: Jack-Bray Evans.

Falmouth Town:

R.Barnes, K. Davies, T. Annear, A. Calleja-Stayne, T. Clark, J.Ward, L. Brabyn, D. Broglino, J. Bray-Evans, L. Barner, T. Nixon

Subs: H. Clarke, A. Wharton, T. Moxham, R. Martt, J. Bowyer


J. Colwill, C. Rhodes, M. Bartlett, T. Cowling, D. Metherell, C. Hambly, C. Hutchinson, E. Harrison, B. Hopkinson, A. Boxhall.

Subs: M. Gusterson, L. Downing, H. Page

Match officials

Andrew Glanville, Adam Price, Neil Rudkin.