Helston Athletic made it five wins in a row in all competitions with a 3-1 away win at Wellington on Saturday, December 4.

Athletic had fallen behind when Mark Cornish scored at the second attempt after seeing his initial shot saved by keeper Cory Harvey, who had made a number of saves to keep the score at only 1-0 going into the half time interval. 

But Helston showcased exactly why they are in the upper echelons of the table with an excellent second half comeback. Billy Tucker opened the Blues scoring in the 46th minute with an inspired individual effort from at least 25 yards out.

The winger went on a mazy run and unleashed a thunderbolt of a strike which flew in off the underside of the bar. 

Tucker had the opportunity to double his tally and put Helston into the lead just shy of the hour after Stu Bowker was adjudged to have been upended by the Wellington goalkeeper.

The winger collected the responsibility and fired a low shot into the bottom right corner despite the custodian diving the right way to make it 2-1.

Bowker who had celebrated his birthday the day before will have been in the party mood again when he sealed the three points twelve minutes from time.

Luke Tripconey found Tucker who cheekily nutmegged a defender before spraying a through ball with the outside of his foot to Bowker who had the finesse to touch the ball down and fire into the roof of the net. 

Speaking to the Packet Helston Athletic Manager Steve Massey said: “I always thought it was going to be a difficult game, they won’t mind me saying it but the facilities aren’t the best in the league. What they do, they do very well, they have nice people that make the football club. We knew it was going to be a culture shock.

“We started well but lost our way which is something that we have been doing during games, either throwing away leads but for 15/20 minutes we have a bad patch and we look an average side. At half time we did regroup.

"We were 1-0 down and deservedly so, it could have been three. We were poor for the last 20 minutes of the half, I wouldn’t say the whole half for the first 20 we had most of the possession but then we had that poor 20 minutes until half time.
“We were thinking the only positive is we are only one down.”

Massey praised his teams second half showing which was spearheaded by Tucker’s talents: “We dominated after the break, we were helped by Billy Tucker’s super strike, which lifted himself and the whole team. We then showed what we are more than capable of and we could have got four/five ourselves in the end. 

“It was a good win, a good victory, as we are getting into the second stage of the season the results are more important now than the performances. We are ticking along nicely, the fifth win on the trot. There is a nice buzz, and a quiet confidence about the squad, the team and the club.”

Helston remain fourth in the table level on points with third-placed Bridgwater and just three points shy of second-placed Bitton who were defeated 1-0 by Tavistock on the weekend.

If Helston win all of their games in hand they will ascend to the top of the table. Next up for Athletic is a trip to seventh placed Exmouth Town who won their last match 3-2.