Falmouth Town Manager Andrew Westgarth was over the moon with all aspects of his sides 5-0 Boxing Day win over local rivals Penryn Athletic. 

A record figure of 1,171 attended the fixture and were treated to four goals from Jack Bray-Evans, including a stunning second half volley, and a strike from Toby Clark. The full report of the match can be found on page 48. 

Speaking after the game Westgarth said: “What a great day, it couldn’t have gone any better. Jack Bray-Evans getting four goals, his second goal, what a goal, it has to be the goal of the season. It was an important goal actually coming just after half time at 2-0. 

“The longer the game goes on a 2-0 you never know if they were to get one it could have gone either way. I thought from that goal in the second half we dominated the game and they didn’t have anything. I am disappointed with the penalty but that man Barnsey (goalkeeper Ryan Barnes) does it again. 

“Overall I thought we looked a cut above.” 

Falmouth notched goals in the dying moments of the first half and the opening minutes of the second period and Westgarth believed that these were vital to seeing off their opponents. He said: “It is what we are all about, anyone who has watched us all season knows that when we score we hurt teams and score at good times. We have goals all over our side.
“I know Jack (Bray-Evans) scored four today but I thought we looked a threat all over the pitch. Alex (Wharton) was unlucky not to score when he came on.

"It was just a great team performance, I was delighted to get a second clean sheet in a row, and it sets us up nicely for next week.” 

It is to the away sides credit that they continued to try and play out from the back, despite the unrelenting high press from Falmouth and having being reduced to ten men in the second half after Joe Mcilroy was shown a red card for a foul on Marcello Jones.

Penryn were rewarded for their efforts when they were offered a route a way back into the match in the 76th minute after Bradley Leivers was felled by Kirk Davies inside the penalty area. 

Nick Boase stepped up to take the penalty but saw his low shot well saved by the outstretched glove of Falmouth custodian Ryan Barnes, who had had a fairly quiet game, much to the delight of Westgarth: “It’s a sign of a good player,” the Falmouth Manager said, “I don’t think he had a shot to save other than the penalty, that is what he is about really.

"Credit to Charlie (Davis, Assistant Manager) he does his homework on stuff like that so we had an inkling as to where he was going to go, I think Penryn will be really disappointed.” 

Lastly, the Manager was quick to thank everyone at the club for ensuring the big day was a success off the pitch as well as on it: “I’m delighted for the club really, Jeff, Donald, Keps, Kerry, the F Troop, everyone associated with the club they put a lot into the game today.

"I know how excited and hopeful they were of breaking the record, but not only to break it we smashed it so to get those sort of numbers at this level is unbelievable.” The Manager said. 

Falmouth’s next match is away to Okehampton Argyle in the Walter C Parson Cup on Monday, January 3. Argyle are top of the South West Peninsula League East division but unlike Town have lost on five occasions this season. 

READ MORE: Bray-Evans shines as Falmouth thump rivals Penryn in front of bumper crowd