Truro City retained the annual Aubrey Wilkes Trophy with a 5-1 win over Falmouth Town at Bickland Park on Saturday.

A brace each for Tyler Harvey and Jacob Grange plus a header from Rocky Neal supplied the goals for the Southern League side, while Falmouth’s goal was nailed in by last season’s top scorer Jack Bray-Evans.

Town got play underway as Bickland Park baked in summer sunshine, but the visitors quickly began to take control of the annual fixture.

Jack Rice forced Ryan Barnes into his first save of the match after four minutes, but his header was directly at the shot-stopper.

On eight minutes Jack Webber was guilty of giving the ball away on the edge of his own box, but fortunately for the Falmouth man Rocky Neal could only direct an improvised effort over the far post.

Neal fancied his chances from way out with a David Beckham like effort from near the half way line five minutes later but Barnes was on his toes to keep the ball out as Town struggled to get out in the early stages.

The White Tigers eventually took the lead in a moment of controversy on 18 minutes. Harvey’s through ball attempted to find Neal but the onrushing attacker went down in a collision with Barnes as the referee pointed to the spot which divided fans.

Despite this Harvey collected the ball and buried his powerful effort into the bottom left corner despite a hand from the keeper.

Falmouth’s Wharton provided a sublime delivery into the penalty area after 22 minutes as Town looked for a response, but no one in the brand-new Falmouth black and amber kit could get on the end of the delivery.

On the half hour Truro doubled their lead through a marvellous strike from Harvey. Truro’s new striker Dan Sullivan linked up with Neal before laying the ball back to the former Plymouth Argyle striker who unleashed a piledriver from 25 yards that belted its way into the bottom left corner to make it 2-0.

After a water break play resumed as Truro threatened again when Tim Nixon cheaply gave the ball away in his own third.

Sullivan unleashed an effort from range which was fumbled by Barnes, but the keeper recovered quickly to make a instinctive save from onrushing Neal.

Truro then scored their last goal of the half in the 36th minute after Falmouth failed to clear their lines. Shane White got possession back for the visitors and whipped a ball perfectly onto the head of Neal who, despite being the smallest man on the pitch, had got between two centre backs to head into the back of the net.

Falmouth Packet: The F-Troop were in good attendance in the Packet End for the matchThe F-Troop were in good attendance in the Packet End for the match

Town made no changes at half time as Truro changed three faces, despite the shuffle up Truro scored their fourth through one of the subs Jacob Grange. The young forward was well picked out by White before beautifully touching and half volleying into the bottom left corner past the helpless keeper in the 48th minute.

Town had an excellent opportunity to reduce the deficit in the 52nd minute when Wharton earned Town a free-kick on the edge. Tom Annear stepped up to take the honours but sent his curling effort over the bar.

Truro made seven changes on the hour mark while Falmouth gave half an hour to Jack Bray-Evans who hadn’t started due to illness earlier in the week.

One of Truro’s changes Harrison had a turn and shot four minutes after his introduction, but his effort went wide of the mark.

Truro’s Jordan Moyle was stretchered off in the next phase of play following a coming together with Wharton.

When play resumed Town had another sighter as Annear had a close-range effort following a free-kick. But the defenders’ low prodded strike was well blocked by Morgan Coxhead in the 70th minute.

Grange, seeking a second goal, played a neat one-two with Harrison after dispossessing Kirk Davies. His shot afterwards wasn’t as neat though as it was cleared away by the keeper.

On 75 minutes Bray-Evans had his first sighter of the match but dragged his low effort left of the mark from a tight angle.

But the Golden Boot winner of last season was celebrating six minutes later when he superbly brought down a long ball before smashing a left-footed bullet into the back of the net passed the flailing Coxhead at the near post.

Falmouth made two further changes as the minutes ticked down, but Truro would notch the last goal of the game as the match edged into stoppage time.

Grange again was the scorer, ghosting in at the front post to plant a header into the corner.

All that was left was for Truro captain Conor Riley-Lowe to lift the trophy in what proved to be a good run out for both sides who continue preparations for the new season.

Falmouth’s next pre-season tie is away to Wadebridge on Wednesday, July 13. Kick off at 7:30pm.

Line ups:

Falmouth Town: R. Barnes, K. Davies, T. Moxham, S. Kellow, T. Annear, K. Gordon-Dunn, A. Wharton, J. Webber, L. Brabyn, J. Swan, T. Nixon.

Subs: J. turner, C. Edney, O. Pickup, Z. Telling, J. Bray-Evans

Truro City FC: Coxhead, Riley Lowe, Madden, White, McCarthy, Rice, Dean, Harvey, Sullivan, Knowles, Neal

Referee: Tim Burley