All the goals came in the second period at Underlane as Wendron United made it two wins from four games in pre-season with a 4-1 win over a Plymouth Argyle Development side

A Charlie Young brace, coupled with strikes from Ryan Reeve and Josh Wood secured the win for the home side while Ben Shaw was on hand from close range for the young Pilgrims.

Dron began the game on the front foot with their attacking four of Billy Stone, Charlie Young, Ryan Reeve and Jack Noy causing the young visitors endless problems early on.

The quadrant linked up superbly to create an opening for Stone just inside the area after six minutes. But the number ten could only drag his half chance wide left of Morgan Coxhead’s goal.

Russell May was the next Dron number to fire a meaningful effort at goal but his looping header from a corner was well claimed by Coxhead.

The visitors despite their slow start squandered a glorious chance to take the lead in the 12th minute. Wendron’s Ethan Fearn failed to gather a deep cross thus exposing his goal, but fortunately for the home goalkeeper Aaron Ibbotson could only trundle his shot off target.

Wendron continued to have the more chances but were left frustrated on a number of occasions. Ryan Reeve thought he had a goal on the cards when he beat the offside trap and rounded the goalkeeper but a last ditch Argyle sliding challenge stopped the former Penryn man in his tracks after 27 minutes.

Two minutes later Reeve was again involved, unselfishly knocking a ball back across the box into the path of Young, and although his prod was blocked the ball fell kindly to Stone whose powerful drive from inside the box forced a strong handed save from the Argyle keeper.

Shortly after the half hour Argyle’s Jake Nancarrow was slipped in behind the back line but opted to try and find Jamie Edlin with an unselfish pass rather than shooting himself. This proved costly as Dron’s Joe Chapman had got himself in the right position to snuff out the danger.

In the 38th minute Young found room in the area to meet a wicked Reece Carroll centre but the striker’s header could only fly over the crossbar.

The visiting Eli Evans had the final chance of the half when he met Edlin’s cross on the half volley but his effort, like the majority of shots for both sides in the first half, sailed out of harms way as the sides went into the break level.

Four minutes into the second half Wendron finally got the breakthrough they were after through a goal scorer who notched a hat-trick in their 8-1 against Porthleven on the opening day of pre-season.

Reeve endeavoured down the left side to beat his man before picking out Taylor Packenas, and though his swing was scuffed, the ball rolled inch-perfectly into the path of Josh Wood who buried a low strike through the keeper and into the back of the net.

They were at it again three minutes later when Reeve was sent through. The striker approaching the area cut the ball back onto his favoured right foot before unleashing a clinical drive into the top right corner to double the lead for the hosts.

He tried his luck again in the 59th minute after a sublime outside of the foot pass from TJ Walter but his audacious half-volley attempt was way high of the crossbar.

Wendron were grateful for the strong hands of Fearn for denying Nancarrow’s strong hit on the hour mark, it proved a vital moment as Dron set off on the counter and added a third goal following some fantastic flowing football.

Packenas sent Walter scampering away down the left with a lovely volleyed pass before the winger wrapped a sumptuous left-footed delivery perfectly onto the arriving Young to make it 3-0 to Dron on 61 minutes.

The away side didn’t go away empty handed though and reduced the deficit in the 74th minute through Ben Sharp.

Dron were dispossessed in their own third before Fearn made an excellent save to deny the initial strike, unfortunately for the keeper it fell nicely for the Argyle youngster to tap into the unguarded net.

The hosts were determined not to let the development outfit crawl back into the match and returned to the front foot when play resumed. Joe Souch brought out the best of Coxhead from a 25 yard free-kick, forcing the goalkeeper into a fine finger tipped save with nine minutes to play.

But from the resulting corner they were celebrating through Young once again. Carroll’s in swinging cross was always going to be dangerous and no one was marking the Wendron number nine who was allowed to ghost in and tap home to complete the scoring.

Dron had two more efforts denied again by Coxhead who was at full stretch to deny both Charlie and Sam Young as Dron saw it out to claim their second pre-season victory.

They are next in action on Tuesday, July 26 when they host Royal Navy U23’s at Underlane.

Line ups:

Wendron United: E. Fearn, J. Chapman, T. Buckley, J. Souch, R. May, T. Packenas, L. Potts R. Reeve, C. Young, B. Stone, J. Noy

Subs: J. Wood, D. Stedman, S. Young, J. Cleverly, R. Caroll, TJ Walter

Plymouth Argyle Development: M. Coxhead, C. Cooke, O. Paterson, M. Everall, J. Edlin, J. Evans, A. Ibbotson, E. Evans, R. Hull, J. Nancarrow, A. Ward