Wendron United finished their pre-season off in style with a 5-0 rout over Royal Navy U23's at Underlane on Tuesday evening.

Just like in their previous match, a 4-1 win over a Plymouth Argyle Development side, all of the goals came in the second half with both Charlie Young and TJ Walter grabbing braces while former Penryn striker Ryan Reeve completed the scoring.

The result means Dron have lost on just the one occasion in pre-season and that was against Mousehole who ended last season's Western League in third spot.

  • You can read how the drama unfolded live here.

Wendron United Manager Michael O'Neill made five changes to his starting lineup and his side started the game on the front footing winning a corner in the opening minute. But after meeting the inswinging delivery captain Scott Palmer could only direct a half volley over the bar.

Wendron had what was to be their greatest opportunity of scoring in the first half after six minutes after the returning Kian Thomas was expertly picked out by Joe Souch with a raking cross field pass. Thomas delightfully took the ball down and skipped past the keeper but could only saw his goalbound strike desperately deflected away for a corner by a backtracking Navy defender.

Thomas was at it again four minutes later, leaving the full back in his wake before unleashing a piledriver from at least 25 yards out which brought out a superb save from the visiting gloveman.

Following this the half really sunk into a low compared to its frantic opening stages with either side struggling to break each other down and create anything remotely close to clear cut until the 35th minute.

That was when Wendron's Dan Steadman walloped a pin point kick in the direction of Billy Stone, who had done well to hold his run to remain onside.

The midfielder cut in on his right before curling a dangerous ball into the box which in the end TJ Walter could only side foot wide after being laid on by Thomas.

The youthful Navy U23's then slipped through the Wendron lines far too easily on 39 minutes but fortunately for the hosts the Naval attacker could only slice a strike wide from the edge of the box.

A minute later they missed a glorious chance after getting to the byline and pulling a ball back to the penalty spot, but their man in white fluffed his lines at the vital moment as the sides went into the break level.

Dron made wholesale changes at the break but started the half on the back foot and were thankful when Russell May displayed some top notch defending to snuff out a dangerous attack two minutes after the restart.

From the resulting corner the Navy defender was free inside the six yard box but flicked his header rather than powering it as the ball flew harmlessly wide of the mark.

It became clear that Wendron were going to have joy down the right hand side through Josh Wood, the winger had his first run at his man in the 51st minute before pulling back to Charlie Young but the forward could only direct his shot straight at the goalkeeper.

The Dron pressure continued with both Sam Young and Ryan Reeve having efforts on goal shortly after but neither finding the desired target.

Charlie Young was agonisingly close to opening the scoring on 55 minutes when he bulldozed his way through two challenges before beating the goalie to the ball, but his shot took a nick off the visiting shot stopper as it inched narrowly past the upright.

Wendron did eventually open the scoring with 70 minutes on the clock through Young. The forward owed a lot to Wood who once again flew down the right wing before pulling a low cross back to the striker.

The sub needed one touch to steady himself and the other was clinical, a low drive into the bottom right corner to give Dron the lead their second half showing had deserved.

This moment was a turning point in the match as the flood gates opened in the Naval defence with Young grabbing his second five minutes later. He and Ryan Reeve exchanged a neat one-two on the left hand side of the box before he finished into the bottom corner at the near post to make it 2-0.

Momentum was really on their side as they added a third with 78 minutes played with a goal which was similar to their first strike.

Once again Dron utilised the pace of Wood down the right, he set the ball back to TJ Walter who was composed to set himself up before bending a low, accurate curler into the bottom left corner leaving the keeper with no chance.

There was no let up in the scoring as the sun dipped behind the hill of the clubhouse as in the 86th minute Reeve notched the goal he had been longing for in what was becoming a trademark move for Dron.

Wood showed a blistering set of heels to race away down the right to keep a ball in play before having the calmness to pick out Reeve in the area for an opportunity the striker simply could not miss less than 12 yards out to make it 4-0.

They completed the flurry of goals in what was certainly a productive 20 minute period three minutes from time when Walter grabbed his second.

Young used his sheer strength to hold off two defenders before shooting inside the box, his effort though powerful was straight at the keeper but proved too hot to handle for the gloveman as it ricocheted off him and to the feet of Walter.

The number nine had one thing on his mind, and buried the shot with a fierce grass cutter into the far right corner to make it 5-0 at the final whistle.

A solid end to pre-season for Wendron who play their first league game away to Newquay on Wednesday, August 10.

Wendron United: D. Steadman, J. Souch, T. Buckley, S. Palmer, R. May, S. Young, T. Packenas, TJ. Walter, B. Stone, J. Noy, K. Thomas.

Subs: E. Fearn, R. Reeve, C. Young, J. Stocker, J. Wood, J. Cleverly

Packet man of the match: Josh Wood

Goalscorers: C. Young 2, TJ. Walter 2. Ryan Reeve