Local rivals Falmouth Town and Helston Athletic were forced to share the points after their third encounter of the season, their second in the league, ended in a 0-0 draw at a rain soaked Bickland Park.

In a lacklustre first half, which saw much of the play take place in the middle of the park, Falmouth carved out the first real opportunity of note after 23 minutes when a Tim Nixon corner was met by Tom Annear. The centre back’s goal bound header caused chaos in the mix and Helston’s attempted clearance was deflected narrowly wide of Cory Harvey’s right post.

Helston gave a debut to Teigan Rosenquest after the winger signed from Southern league Tavistock on Monday. Playing at left wing back on this occasion, he nearly opened his account for the Blues on the 40 minute mark after rounding the keeper following a good ball from Rubin Wilson. But his effort was well blocked by the backtracking Kayden Gordon-Dunn.

Falmouth then had the best opportunity of the first half in stoppage time. Alex Wharton was sent to the floor by Harrison Jewell which earned the Helston man a yellow card. From the resulting free kick Nixon, who has three free kick goals to his name this season, stepped up but could only see his curling effort come off the top of the bar as the sides went in level.

Helston introduced Jordon Copp for Rikki Shepherd at the interval but it was Falmouth who had the first chance of the second 45 as Jack Webber let fly from the left hand side. But his low shot fizzed narrowly wide of the far post.

He tried his luck again in the 48th minute, though his effort was on target this time it failed to trouble the Athletic shot stopper.

Helston’s Tom Payne attempted to recreate the 35 yard stunner he netted against Torpoint on Saturday after 54 minutes but this time his fierce left booted shot was gathered at the second attempt by Falmouth’s Ryan Barnes.

The stop-start torrential blasts of rain continued throughout the half which dampened the field of play but not the fans behind the goal as Falmouth chased a lead.

Nixon chanced his arm again on 72 minutes but saw his venomous strike fly straight at Harvey.

Helston pieced together their best phase of play with 15 minutes left of the 90 when several blue and white shirts knocked passes together. Eventually Copp fed the ball to Rubin Wilson whose two goals were the difference when the sides met last. He rolled his man before unleashing a powerful drive which somehow Barnes tipped over the crossbar.

Town were looking the more likely to score though as the minutes ticked down and Annear was disappointed to see his goal bound header well hooked off the line by Isaac Burdon on 81 minutes in what was the final big chance of the fixture.

The result ends Falmouth’s three-game losing run in the Western League as they move up to 13th, they host Millbrook on Saturday in their next league outing.

Helston extend their unbeaten league run to six, while earning their first clean sheet of the season, they are away to Barnstaple on Saturday.

Read how the drama unfolded live here.


Falmouth Town:

R. Barnes, S. Kellow, K. Gordon-Dunn, T. Annear, T. Moxham, A. Calleja-Stayne, J. Webber, T. Nixon, L. Brabyn, L. Barner, A. Wharton

Subs: A. Westgarth, O. Pickup, C. Edney, C. Hutchinson, J. Swan

Helston Athletic:

C. Harvey, I. Burdon, J. Bentley, A. Bentley, H. Jewell, T. Rosenquest, M. Bye, T. Payne, R. Wilson, R. Shepherd, S. Carter

Subs: T. Hands, F. Walter, J. Copp, N. West, K. Cornish