FALMOUTH Town faced off against Frome Town FC in front of 338 fans for the Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round on Saturday, August 19 at Bickland Park.

Both sides started brightly, but The Robin’s defence proved tricky for Town’s men up front to break down.

After a spell of dominance that would stay with them for the majority of the game, Frome’s first goal came after 20 minutes when Reece Rusher fired the visitors in front with a shot from just outside the box.

Having denied Falmouth an equaliser moments before, Ben Griffith was played on by the home side’s defence when a through ball put him through one-on-one with the keeper and he cooly slotted home for Frome’s second.

Town weren’t going down without a fight but will surely feel they could have done more with the chances they made. After battling to win the ball in their opponent’s half, the resulting shot was straight at the keeper who collected it without trouble. Falmouth then had another go just before the break but this time saw the effort go just wide of the mark.

As the whistle went for the start of the second half, Frome were still in the ascendancy and recorded their third goal after a throw-in saw a hopeful cross aimed goalward before Ollis managed to turn it passed the keeper and into the net.

Having regained their stride almost instantly, Frome looked to capitalise and some good passing play resulted in Ben Griffith slipping passed his man and setting himself up with a great first touch and striking the ball low and hard toward the keeper who couldn’t get down quickly enough before it passed him.

Just before the 60-minute mark, Falmouth found themselves four goals down and sinking, however, a period of good football earned them a lifeline when a low cross from the left side of the field passed two defenders and Frome’s man between the sticks to find Jacob Grange who passed it into the back of the net.

The goal seemed to galvanise Town, but they couldn’t quite manage to convert their next few chances. Frome’s keeper wouldn’t be fooled twice as a similar cross to the one that resulted in their last goal was quickly collected, followed by another attempt from outside the area that rolled along the ground towards the keeper and was gathered up. 

At 73 minutes, the outcome of the game looked inevitable when a surging attack from the visitors saw Falmouth’s defence fail to stop Griffith from receiving a well-worked pass with another great first touch before cracking off a powerful shot into the bottom left corner of the goal.

Seven minutes later, Frome found their sixth after a long ball forward from the keeper found one of their own on the wing in the shape of Reece Rusher beat his man before working his way into the six-yard box and slotting home.

Down but not quite out yet, Falmouth saw another chance from outside the area go begging after it was tipped over the crossbar before earning another consolation goal.

A Town throw-in led to a battle for possession which ended when a lofted cross was met by the head of Olly Walker and fumbled by the Frome keeper.

Frome could have bagged a seventh late on were it not for the pesky Falmouth crossbar as well as having another attempt go just wide in the dying embers of the game.


Falmouth Town 2 – 6 Frome Town