Penryn 28 - Falmouth 20

Penryn welcomed near neighbours Falmouth for this eagerly awaited derby, writes Jonathan Plummer. 

Both sides were coming into the match in good form, with Penryn defeating Bude and Falmouth getting the better of Bideford the week before.

Penryn were forced into a change with top try scorer James Salisbury unavailable and front rowers Adam Strick and Chris Hellier still recovering from injuries.

Referee was Kevin Lewis from Devon society and our thanks go to him.

The weather was dry but there was a strong breeze towards the college end and it was Falmouth who decided to play with the wind in the first half, in front of a big crowd.

The match started at a real pace with both sides going at each other but it was Falmouth who settled quickest and started to apply pressure in the Penryn 22.

After several phases of play Penryn infringed and Falmouth opted to go for posts, with full-back Harvey Penhallurick having no problem with the penalty to give the visitors an early lead.

Penryn came straight back at Falmouth from the restart and quickly regained the ball, and after several phases of play the ball was fed out to the right wing. It was Matt Hall who managed to have the pace to squeeze in at the corner for the first try of the afternoon. The conversion from the touchline was just missed but Penryn led 5-3.

Back came Falmouth, who used the conditions to their advantage and pinned Penryn in their own half.

Following a spell of pressure and some good handling by the Falmouth backline, Harvey Penhallurick saw a gap in the home defence, which he burst through and had the pace to outstrip the defence to score by the posts. Penhallurick then converted his own try.

Falmouth were now on the front foot and after another Penryn infringement, Penhallurick kicked the penalty to give the Eagles a healthy lead.

Penryn began to apply some pressure and Falmouth started to concede some penalties, with two of these seeing the first yellow cards of the day.

Penryn failed to take advantage of the extra man and Falmouth were on the attack again, but a loose pass was grabbed by Penryn centre Andrew Seviour and, managing to fend off the covering defence, he had the pace to dive in under the posts for a crucial score. Sean Johnson kicked the conversion to leave only a point in it at half time, Falmouth leading 12-13.

Penryn now had the wind at their backs and were soon on the front foot. After several good carries by forwards and backs, scrum-half Will Tanswell got the try to give Borough the lead; Rob Banks kicked the conversion.

Penryn looked to extend the lead and after several attacks the ball was spread wide, but this time it was Falmouth who made the intercept and wing Nick Carne was racing down the wing. He had the pace to outstrip the covering defenders to score under the posts and Penhallurick added the extras to give Falmouth a one point lead heading into the final quarter.

From the restart Falmouth claimed the ball and Penryn second row replacement Peter Cockrell was judged to have made a high tackle, and was shown a red card, leaving Penryn down to 14 men for the rest of the match. Falmouth kicked into Penryn’s half but couldn’t take advantage and Penryn cleared the danger.

Now Penryn put Falmouth under pressure and Falmouth started to concede penalties. Rob Banks took advantage from one, with Penryn retaking the lead. More yellow cards followed for Falmouth infringements and Banks kicked two more penalties to seal victory for Penryn.

Next Saturday Penryn head to second-placed Kingsbridge while Falmouth will look to get back to winning ways at home, to bottom of the table Bude.

Penryn Tries: Matt Hall, Andrew Seviour, Will Tanswell. Conversions: Sean Johnson, Rob Banks. Penalties: Rob Banks (3).

Falmouth Tries: Harvey Penhallurick, Nick Carne. Conversions: Harvey Penhallurick (2). Penalties: Harvey Penhallurick (2).