SIDMOUTH Town welcomed a traveling Wendron United side to Manstone Lane for the first time in last weekend’s South West Peninsula League Walter C. Parson Funeral Directors League Cup.

Hosts Sidmouth currently find themselves eighth in the SWP Premier League East whilst visitors Wendron United are sitting comfortably in fourth place in the SWP Premier League West with four games in hand.

The game kicked off in front of a crowd of just over 100 people and, for the first ten minutes, the two sides were relatively evenly matched with both teams applying constant pressure to the other.

A breakthrough was found on 13 minutes after a sloppy mistake from the home side at the back gives the visitors the opportunity to score into an empty net.

Things then went from bad to worse for the hosts five minutes later as a rebounded shot from off the bar was then slotted passed the Sidmouth keeper and into the back of the net to give Wendron a two-goal advantage.

However, Sidmouth didn’t lie back and accept their fate and, as the end of the first half approached, were able to grab themselves a lifeline in the form of goal from Ollie Snow. Snow worked his way into space and found himself one-on-one with the keeper before cooly slotting it passed him and into the back of the net.

As the two sides went in at half-time, the scoreline sat at 1-2, with the visitors enjoying a lead over their hosts.

The second half kicked off and minutes later the first of a number of cards were shown to Sidmouth players. Tiernan West was shown a yellow card after a tackle in midfield.

The two teams battled away into the second half and neither seemed able to better the other until things took a turn for the worse for the home side as a flurry of cards were shown to Sidmouth players.

Ashley Hudd was shown a yellow card and Isaac Furness was sent off for talking back to the referee. Despite having one more player than the home side, Wendron were unable to add to their tally and as the full-time whistle went, Wendron walked off the pitch knowing their progression into the next round of the cup was secured.

Wendron United’s next game will be a league fixture at home against Launceston AFC on Saturday, October 21, and will kick off at 3pm.