Helston Athletic ran out deserved winners after thrashing St Blazey 5-0 at Kellaway Park.

Under a lightly clouded sky, Jacob Smith kicked off the game in style for the home side on Saturday.

He netted an early goal at the sixth minute, his second in consecutive matches.

Things just got better and better for Helston, as just six minutes later, Dave Barker doubled the lead with another goal.

St Blazey's floodgates remained open, with the third goal of the match scored by Aaron Bentley on the 24th minute mark.

Falmouth Packet: Jacob Smith (left) scores Helston’s first goal of the match in the first six minutes. Image:

In an attempt to stop the rot, the away side subbed off Jordan Pearce at half time, with Aaron Dilley dropping into defence and Scott Piper replacing him.

But the changes did not achieve what St Blazey were hoping for, as the team continued to struggle on the pitch.

Curtis Damerell, who signed for Helston from Torpoint AFC in the summer, had a chance to score his first goal for the club from the penalty spot, after Rikki Shepherd was brought down in the box, but his effort was saved by visiting goalkeeper Lewis Moyle.

This did not spell the end of the goals for Helston, however, as Aaron Bentley bagged his second goal of the day at 77 minutes.

St Blazey did grow into the game more in the second half, but there was still an obvious gap in quality between them and Helston.

Damerell found a second chance to get his name of the scoreesheet in the 82nd minute and this time he grabbed it, scoring Helston's final goal to go 5-0 up.

Falmouth Packet: Helston continue their goal run. Image: Piran Films

The win places Helston at the top of the Tool Station Western League, and a spokesperson added that it was a "deserved win".

A clearly demoralised St Blazey admitted that they had been "outclassed" despite brief periods of "reasonable play".

The day, however, belonged to Helston Athletic, who cantered to a significant 5-0 triumph before an attendance of 120 at Kellaway Park.