Cornwall completed their campaign scoring seven tries in the glorious Cornish sunshine to send the black and gold hordes of Trelawny’s Army home happy in a much improved performance, in the Bill Beaumont Cup, writes Bill Hooper.

Head coach Graham Dawe was satisfied with his side’s performance. He said. “It was tight up to half-time, we only led by three points and Hampshire were deservedly in the game. We said at half-time that we didn’t need to chase the game, the conditions playing down the slope will help us and that Hampshire will tire, we had a very strong bench, and that made the difference.

“We were much better today on the penalty front and worked very hard at the breakdown, whilst outside we showed vision playing the ball.

“We made a great start to the second half, Honey put us in the right area of the field, we won the ball putting us in a position to exploit their defence, we played sensible rugby, were patient and chances came our way. We have blooded some good young players this season and they will only get better in the seasons to come, so I am very confident that we can go on to better things.”

Hampshire scored first thanks to an early penalty from Lewis Dennett, their big forwards put in some telling drives.

It didn’t take long for Cornwall to reply as Duncan Tout, who had an outstanding game in the centre, ran in a great try from distance, Honey adding the first of his five conversions.

Ryan Morrell ran hard into the Cornwall twenty-two setting up a lineout for the visitors that led to a try by Kanter Wittock, bettered by Dennett.

Honey tied the scores with a penalty, however, Hampshire soon struck again when Max Fletcher made good ground before slipping a pass to Curtis Barnes to dot down, Dennett again found the uprights with the extras.

Good play from Harry Larkins led to a popular score in the corner from Dan Tyrrell, the winger repeating the dose just moments later.

Early in the second half giant lock Hugo Culverhouse stormed like a demented wildebeest into Hellfire corner to score a great try to huge cheers.

Cornwall had a cushion and they continued to press the pedal to the metal with further tries from Jordan Nicholls, twice, and CJ Boyce.

Hampshire never threw in the towel and were rewarded with a penalty-try near the end.