Falmouth Town 2, Godolphin Atlantic 1

JORDAN ANNEAR’S second half double gave Falmouth Town all three points at home to Godolphin Atlantic on Saturday to ensure they spend Christmas in fourth place.

Town struggled to reach their usual high standards, but Annear’s strikes gave them a two-goal cushion before a late Phil Lowry penalty made for a nervy final few minutes.

The visitors spurned a massive chance to lead on 12 minutes when George Ellis rounded Ryan Barnes and looked certain to score, but he fluffed his lines and James Ward scrambled the ball away.

Town’s best chance of a disappointing first half came on 18 minutes when Annear’s low cross was met by Marcello Jones six yards out, but Fearn did brilliantly to tip his effort around the post.

Godolphin edged the opening 45 minutes and probably should have been ahead, with Tom Annear having to clear a dangerous cross from Tiago Soares before Tom Sheperd fired narrowly wide.

The home side put their poor first half behind them in superb fashion, when Luke Brabyn teed up Jordan Annear to smash the ball into the net just 20 seconds into the second half.

Town then rediscovered their spark and were two up in the 76th minute when Annear brought down a long ball before squeezing it past Fearn, who almost managed to keep it out.

Godolphin had Fearn to thank for keeping their hopes alive that afternoon with the visiting keeper in excellent form, saving twice from Annear and once from Brabyn.

The visitors then found their unlikely route back into the match when Phil Lowry scored from the spot after Josh Richards was deemed to have fouled Ben Colquhoun in the box.

Falmouth looked for a third but were continually thwarted by Fearn, who first stopped Rob Wearne’s shot with his feet before denying Annear his hat-trick late on.

Falmouth: R Barnes, A Frier (R Martt HT), H Clarke, J Ward, T Annear, J Richards, L Brabyn, J Webber (S Pickup 84), M Jones, J Annear, O Walker (R Wearne 67).

Packet Pick: Jordan Annear – Town struggled to get past Fearn but their top-scorer stepped up once again and made the difference.