On yet another wet weekend, Helston Athletic were left high and dry in Devon on Saturday.

The Blues set off at 10.30am for the longest trip in the SWPL Premier to Witheridge, only to discover that the game had been called off.

"We took a coach up but on the way there I took a call from one of our players at around 1.30pm who had made his own way there.

"As we were passing our 25th Devon cottage because we'd gone the wrong way, he told me that the game was not going to happen because there was water all over the pitch.

"It hadn't rained that morning so it's very disappointing that the game was not called off before we left Helston.

If a game is called off after a deluge at 2pm, I can understand that, but it had been dry all day so it's a mystery as to why they didn't call it off at the 10am inspection."

The game has now been rearranged for Sunday, April 15, just 24 hours after Helston host Tavistock in the league.

Helston had a similar situation at Cullompton last year, when they made one of the longest journeys only for the game to be called off. On that occasion, the referee had postponed it, despite both teams being prepared to play.

"A bit of common sense would have seen this game called off before we left, but instead we abandoned our journey and went to a pub for a game for the lads to drown their sorrows with a game of killer pool," added Massey.

With another week of wet weather, doubt will now be cast over the Good Friday derby with Falmouth Town.

"I'm hoping for a big crowd, we've been good at home this season but Falmouth will be strong favourites because they are playing with a lot of confidence.

"I'm very conscious that the first goal will be really important to give us that bit of belief. Falmouth have that bit of quality that comes from confidence and that is like a 12th man for them."

Full back George Roberts is a doubt with an ankle problem, while Kai Cornish is also unavailable.

New signing Alex Wharton, a 16 year-old striker, could be included in the squad.