PENRYN got their first Western Counties win of the season at the second time of asking, in a nail biter against newly promoted Crediton.

The home team raced into an early 15-0 lead, but the spirited visitors would not go away, proving they belong in what is becoming an increasingly tough league.

The Borough went into the game on the back of a tough loss away at Okehampton last week and were desperate to kick start their season in front of their own supporters.

Last year’s Devon & Cornwall league winners Crediton, had won at home to Torquay and had lost only one game in over a year coming into the match.

Penryn were still without half a dozen first team regulars, but still managed to put out a strong team and they started well.

Crediton had much of the ball in the opening exchanges, which would be a theme of the match, but Penryn’s defence in opposition territory was suffocating and yielded a penalty.

Rob Banks making a first Penryn start in several seasons slotted his first points of the campaign.

The penalty against the run of play seemed to shock the visitors as the Borough found their rhythm.

A turnover in midfield and quick hands of combining backs and forwards sent winger Jack Willey in for the easiest of tries.

Banks converted and all was rosy in the Penryn garden at 10-0.

It got better for the home side and for Willey.

The forwards were carrying with real vigour, creating space for the backs to exploit which opened up an opportunity for a carbon copy of Willey’s first score down the left hand flank, which the winger duly took.

Banks couldn’t convert but Penryn led 15-0.

The away side got themselves back into contention in the shape of their very strong scrum and after several phases of pressure crossed the Penryn line.

While Penryn would have been disappointed to concede it would have pleased them how long they held out for as they led 15-5 at the break.

The second half started much like the first half had, with Crediton enjoying the lion’s share of possession but Penryn pegging them back with another penalty goal from Banks.

This time, though, it wouldn’t kick start a Penryn charge. In fact the Borough would barely see the ball all half as the away side fought their way back into the game.

Again Penryn would have been pleased with their defence, as they repelled wave after wave of Crediton attack, but eventually the pressure proved too much and the visitors crossed again.

One thing that would have pleased the Penryn coaches, was the line out – which provided quick ball all afternoon as well as several strong driving mauls – which is exactly where the Borough sourced their next try from.

This time it was the home forwards who were knocking on the door for several minutes, but Crediton couldn’t deal with the home sides power as second row Ben Trevaskis made it two tries in two games when he crashed over.

Penryn led 23-15 as Banks saw his conversion go wide. Banks did however add another penalty goal to give the hosts some breathing space.

Back came Crediton though.

Penryn failed to secure the restart and the away team gladly scooped up possession and rumbled up to and over the line for a bonus point try.

which also put them into losing bonus point territory and maybe the chance of what seemed an unlikely victory.

It made for a tense final few minutes and there was drama all the way.

Crediton kicked to the corner looking for that match winning score, only to be penalised with a minute on the clock.

Penryn cleared and secured their line out ball once again, driving up field only to be penalised, giving Crediton one last chance with the final play of the game.

Fortunately for Penryn held on though to celebrate their first win of the season. Penryn travel to Devon to face Torquay this Saturday.

Penryn: Chambers (capt) Creeden Fittock Paine Willey Banks Hellier Oldfield Smith Burley Hancock Trevaskis Hutchinson Hughes Rose Reps: Cockerell Smith Strick

Tries: Willey (2) Trevaskis

Con: Banks

Pens: Banks (3)