Sunday proved to be one of the busiest ever experienced for Cornwall's emergency services as sunny weather combined with the end of half term and the easing of lockdown restrictions.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said it sent out the equivalent of 40 fire appliances over the course of the day - as some were used more than once - while the coastguard helicopter was sent to numerous incidents and on some occasions was called for twice at the same time.

It included a number of fires spreading in the dry weather, road crashes and also incidents on the water.

The fire service said of Sunday: "This was one of the busiest days we have had."

Among the calls was to Goonhilly Downs, where people camping had started a small fire.

Other rescues responded to over the weekend included:

1. Abandoned barbecue leads to fire in Falmouth park

Falmouth Packet:

Photo: Falmouth Fire Station

An abandoned barbecue led to fire spreading through an area of a Falmouth park.

Had it not been for the actions of dog walkers the fire is likely to have spread further, said Falmouth Fire Station.

Read more.

2. Fire crews battle to save house after shed fire spreads

Firefighters were called to a blaze in Truro in which a shed fire spread to a house.

Crews were called to Penair View just before 10.20am, initially just to the burning shed.

However, the flames subsequently spread to the roof of the building.

Read more.

3. Crash on Helston to Porthleven road

Falmouth Packet:

Police were directing traffic on the main road between Helston and Penzance earlier today following a crash near the Porthleven turn off.

Read more.

4. Climber rescued clinging to 'precarious' cliff ledge by fingertips

Falmouth Packet:

Photo: Penlee RNLI

A climber had to be airlifted from a "very precarious and dangerous position" just along the coast from Porthleven after he was found clinging on to a ledge by his fingertips.

The rescue involved Porthleven Coastguard Rescue Team, the coastguard helicopter and Penlee Inshore Lifeboat.

It was the second shout of the day for the lifeboat, after two people got into difficulties in an inflatable dinghy near Praa Sands beach.

Read more.

5. Woman and baby taken to hospital from crash that also involved a dog

A 999 call was made at around 2.50pm on Sunday about a crash on the B3301, close to Hells Mouth near Portreath, in which a vehicle was on its roof.

The driver, a woman in her 30s, was trapped in the car and had to be cut free by fire and ambulance crews before being airlifted to hospital.

A baby was also taken separately.

Read more.

6. Capsizing kayakers who launched with no life jackets and a leak are rescued

Falmouth Packet:

Photo: Portreath Surf Life Saving Club

Two kayakers who launched with no life jackets and leaking equipment had to be rescued by volunteers.

The boys, who were only wearing swimming trunks and had no radio, found themselves in trouble and drifting out to sea, capsizing repeatedly.

Read more.

7. River visit almost ends in tragedy as volunteers 'undoubtedly' save man's life

The life of a man was "undoubtedly" saved after he got into difficulties in a river.

Realising that an immediate rescue was needed, the Hayle Surf Life Saving Club beach wardens were forced to break protocol and go to his aid.

Read more.